How to Reset the D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router

Some time ago I wrote a post titled Securing D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router. In that post I outlined the steps needed to secure that particular wireless router.

More recently I wrote another post title How to Reset the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router and decided to write a similar post on reseting the DI-524 router.

Reset Button

Note:

Reseting the router to the factory defaults will delete any changes you have made to the router, including any security settings. This should be used as a last resort.

The steps involved in reseting the router is simply pressing a button located on the router. The image below (courtesy of D-Link) shows where the button is located.

Reset Button Location

Location of the D-Link DI-524 Reset Button

To reset your router, use the following steps:

1. Press the reset button for 10 seconds. You can use a small object, such as a paper clip to hold down the button.
  2. Do not power off the unit while the router is being reset.

The unit should now reboot, and once the WLAN light stops blinking the router should be reset.

3. Open up your Web browser and enter 192.168.0.1 in the address bar.
  4. For the login, enter admin as the ID and leave the password blank.

The router has now been reset. Follow the steps in Securing D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router to secure your router.

Summary

This post has provided the instructions you can use to reset your D-Link DI-524 wireless router. If you are having problems with your router, try reseting the router to the factory defaults, and then make the changes again and see if the router starts working.

Get Microsoft Office 365
Your cloud-powered, complete office solution.

Multiple Devices.
Use Office 365 on 5 PCs or Macs, plus 5 iPads or Windows tablets.

Massive cloud storage.
Up to 5 people can have 1TB of cloud-storage.

Skype calls.
Get 60 minutes of Skype calls per month.

Non-stop updates.
Cloud-powered Office 365 provides ongoing updates.

Networking, Networks, Security

1. Gil Schneider
    Posted October 19, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Paul, since I could not find my personal info for my DI-524, you were the only source I found that told me to hold the reset for 10 seconds. Then I could go ahead and secure it. THANK YOU!!!

2. daely
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 12:03 am | Permalink

I’ve tried to reset my dlink DI524 according step by step instruction by Paul Salmon.
    But the WLAN light didn’t stop blinking after almost 1 hour. Is it really take such a long time to reboot, or did I do something wrong?
    Please help me, my WIFI is unsecured at the moment, and my neighbour keep using it.
    Thank you, I really appreciate you help.

Regards,
    Daely

3. Posted May 2, 2013 at 8:35 am | Permalink

very nice post, i certainly love this web site, keep on it

4. goran
    Posted October 11, 2012 at 6:29 am | Permalink

this was really, really driving me nuts. i could log in typing only “user” and OK (with blank password). that works. “admin” does not work. i did the soft and the hard reset. nothing. in despair, i just entered “admin” and tabbed to the password field and only then click OK. and I was in. thank you d-link, honestly i am giving up on you! learning features for each model is not my idea of time well spent

5. Posted September 15, 2012 at 6:18 am | Permalink

Hello. Can you help me!!! I cann`t connect to internet by wireless g router di-524, because it ask me security key. !!! Can you write security key for me !!!
    s/n: dy07369043390
    upc code / EEU 790069282546
    mac id: 00179a-f7dc0e
    ver.:2.04
    Thank you !!!

6. lindi
    Posted August 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Hi, my router has been working for years now and al of the sudden I cant use it anymore… My dlink di 524 doesnt show up anywhere so its impossible for me to connect to it… what can I do,, I have tried resettin but nothing… please help me

7. caleb
    Posted July 4, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

hey, so i got the D-link DI-524 router from a friend and he had forgot the password. (not sure if this will make a difference later on) anyway whenever i reset it the WLAN light doesnt stop flashing. <( power light on steady, status light flashing, and WLAN light flashing) i dont have anything plugged into it but the power cable….
    Well its weird because it did work once and im not sure how, but when i went to the 192.168.0.1 website thing and put the username as admin and left the password black it said: invalid password please try again.
    i dont know what to do from here and have read ALOT of the the comments above with no sucsess from anything.

think you could help me please?

• Ronald
      Posted January 30, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

You need to put in your ISP (internet service provider) ip address/gateway/dns programed into your router before it will connect. Unless you are on a inside system the does DCHP which would give your router all that info but usually internet providers do static IP where you much program their info to get connection.

8. Posted May 28, 2012 at 5:13 am | Permalink

Just wanted to say thanks a bunch! You made this super easy and saved me a lot of stress!

PS You know website is a mandatory field?

• Posted May 28, 2012 at 8:24 am | Permalink

I’m glad I could help. I’ll have to check the website field and fix the mandatory issue. Thanks.

9. Posted February 21, 2012 at 9:40 am | Permalink

I need to reset a wireless connection that goes between 2 computers and desire to get my new computer tablet connected to this wireless connection. The password has been forgotten so I think I need to reset the router and password. I am using a D-link router. For any help, I would appreciate it. Thanks

• Posted February 21, 2012 at 10:36 am | Permalink

If you don’t know the password then you will need to reset the password.

• Posted February 21, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

I was able to connect to the other computers wireless network. Thank goodness! Now I can enjoy the internet on my computer tablet.

• Posted February 22, 2012 at 8:02 am | Permalink

It’s good to hear that you manage to get the wireless on your tablet working.

10. Umily
    Posted February 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

If I reset my router, will all my provider information gets wiped out?

• Posted February 13, 2012 at 8:03 am | Permalink

If you entered information about your provider in your router, then yes, it will be wiped out.

11. Cris John Rey Tarpin
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for the information. I have just set the MAC filtering and no one can’t access the router that’s why I came up with the idea on resetting it. Thanks Again

12. amit h.
    Posted July 13, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

hey guys, i was stupid enough to throw away the box with the pin number of my di 524..
    what can i do to restore it/generate a new one…?

thanks a lot!

13. David S.
    Posted July 3, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Added security password, since, unable to print on my wireless printer. Tried reseting dlink 524 but can’t find device (printer) . Any suggestions.

14. Router Guy
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

I’ve been through a few routers in my time. And I have found that the internet is the most useful tool to find the info you need to accomplish almost anything. I used the D-Link as my primary router for about 4 years. It was the most dependable router I have used. I don’t understand all the issues with resetting. I reset about once every few months just to clear out the bugs and cobwebs. Think of it like an oil change. With the D-Link it really is just as simple as pushing and holding the reset button while the unit is on for about 10 seconds. This will clear all info and bring the unit back to factory defaults. I am about to sell my DI-524 and have just done this. I checked it with my laptop to make sure and all was good. Right down to the admin/no password log in.

• Posted May 15, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

I have a Linksys WRT54G, and I don’t remember when the last time I have reset it. If I have problems I just restart the router with the power cable and it usually comes back online. Some people need to reset the router if they had someone else secure it, but don’t remember the password.

15. Bob D
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

The ‘BIGGIES’ I found regarding resetting:

1.) the reset hole on the side of the router has to be held in for 10 seconds or more …. with the power ON. Then……
    2.) pull the power plugs from the modem and the router – wait 30+ seconds
    3.) repower the modem 1st….allowing it to power up for about a minute
    4.) repower the router … wait a bit

You should then be back in business.

• Posted January 21, 2011 at 8:15 am | Permalink

I usually take that route, with the exception of the pressing the reset button, when I can’t get my router to connect to the Internet. Sometimes it just need to do a complete shutdown of both the modem and router to get things back in order.

16. John
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

I’ve reset the router, and when I try to login, it won’t accept ‘admin’ for user name and a blank password! I have this exact router, revision ‘C’. I’ve tried all combinations of admin, admin, administrator, blank, etc. Anyone else have this problem? Any fixes? Thanks!

• teety
      Posted December 21, 2010 at 8:58 am | Permalink

You need to reset it like in the manual. Remove the power cable, press the reset button, power it (don’t let go to the reset button yet) wait until both Status and Wlan lights are blinking at the same time then let go the reset button. If you wait to much, you need to start all over!

• Alex
      Posted September 15, 2011 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Guys,

When you type ADMIN, leave the password BLANK.
      This was my anly problem…I was typing ADMIN as password!

cheers from brazil

17. Jaimito
    Posted August 23, 2010 at 2:23 am | Permalink

I cannot add a Virtual Server. I go to Advanced / Virtual Server, I type in all the required information, but when I click the “apply” button I get an error messages saying “Unable to add”.

What can I do?

18. Satish Murugan
    Posted August 13, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Hey thank you v much yaar

19. Rebecca
    Posted July 28, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing- we had a similar problem with the cisco router at our office but I think it’s under control now!

20. TheWebFanatik
    Posted June 22, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

The files downloaded from above (Kaspars’ link) do not work on my Dl-524

router says it’s not a .bin file

Exe states no cgi found & same for v2.07 too.

I updated to firmware v1.23 from Dlinks website & now my router won’t connect- is there a way to remove firmware once it’s installed? ( I reset to factory specs but still nothing.)

21. Alison
    Posted April 5, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

I have reset the router, but am still unable to access the admin web interface, so can not make any changes to the settings…can anyone advise?

22. clive
    Posted January 2, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

I need to know whether i can reset the router and connect a new computer as the main hub adding other laptops/game machines to it without the original set up disk ???

23. howard
    Posted December 28, 2009 at 9:57 am | Permalink

i have a DI 524. I cant seem to get to the settings url on the internet. I cant get the computer to work with this router. It is a loosing battle.
    it goes to the circular file and i will purchase a linksys by cisco wireless.
    sick of working on stuff that does not work and only to have the manufacture not help either.
    telling you that you are on your own.
    this router is not worth the trouble.
    pay 69 dollars for a new upgraded router.

so i just tossed my DI524 and now my router is working fine.

24. linda
    Posted December 10, 2009 at 1:46 am | Permalink

I have the same problem with my DI 524 connected to local only and unidentified. I don’t have access to the internet and keeps telling me that the connection was reset. I don’t know what to do anymore, the internet
    provider refused to help me. Can someone help me pls?

25. bersikulo
    Posted November 22, 2009 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

why can’t i reset my di-link 524 router..? only the power and 4 are lighting.. what will i do?

• Russell
      Posted March 8, 2010 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Did you solve this as mine is doing the same thing

26. Kaspar
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 7:33 am | Permalink

Here’s the solution to fix a DI-524 that will not stop flashing when you try to reset it.

Thanks to Borge!

27. Posted September 9, 2009 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

I have a similar problem, and the cable company can’t help me! My laptop can’t get on the internet, however my PC can. What am I doing wrong? I am not computer literate, so please have patience, thank you!

• Posted September 11, 2009 at 8:13 am | Permalink

Can your laptop connect to the router? If not, try connecting a network cable into the router and laptop and see if you can connect. If you can, then there is an issue with the wireless settings.

• Joan
        Posted May 20, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

I have the same problem… my laptop recognizes the router but has limited connectivity. However, with cable, internet connection is possible. How do I fix this? Thanks.

28. Mick
    Posted August 29, 2009 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Hi,

I’ve tried resetting my router however the WAN light does not stop flashing… i also tired accessing 192.168.0.1 however nothing came up, no page prompting me to type in my ID..etc

Can anyone assist?
    Thanks

29. Glory
    Posted August 23, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

My modem’s connected to my router and my pc’s connected to my router. Everything works fine yesterday, both my pc and laptop could connect to internet. Today, my pc still works fine but my laptop suddenly cannot connect to the internet. The access signal at the bottom right says “Local Only”. What does this mean? Is there something wrong with my router and do I need to reset it?

• Posted August 23, 2009 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

I have the same issue from time to time. The best method I found of correcting the problem is to unplug the power from the router for 10 seconds, and the plug it back in. Once it boots you should be able to reconnect with your laptop.

Because you aren’t performing a hard reset this way, all your settings will still be saved.

30. Michael Mohlere
    Posted August 18, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

I just got a DL-524 from my brother. It came without any instructions. Where can I get a manual/instructions so I can set it up?

31. Rodrigo
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Hello!!

i can only reset the password for admin user?

i’m lost the password for admin user and i need preserve the current configuration

32. gatolko
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Thanks a lot great info.

33. Raj
    Posted June 20, 2009 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I have been resetting my D-link 15 times, the ip address never opens and keep getting error. I do not even my conenction on wireless list. It is not broadcasting either.
    I am throwing away this piece of junk DLINK router. I have had isses with Dlink few other times in office as well so I changed it to seomthign else more reliable.

34. Alansworld
    Posted June 4, 2009 at 12:05 am | Permalink

It worked for me!!!!
    Awesome dude!!!!

35. Bob
    Posted April 30, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Hey, i’ve recently got a new computer to replace my old one, which is hooked up to the wireless router and modem. Do have to reset the router in order to make the new pc the main internet provider. If so, can you please help me.

• Posted May 1, 2009 at 10:28 am | Permalink

You shouldn’t have to reset the router, as your new computer will just be assigned a new IP address by the router. If you have enabled MAC address filtering in the router, then you would need to update the MAC list with the MAC address from your new computer.

If you are having problems connecting, you can try disconnecting the power from the modem and router and wait about 30 seconds. After that, plugin in the modem and wait for it to finish powering up. Once the modem is up, reconnect the power to the router.

36. Erica
    Posted April 29, 2009 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

also, i am on a mac, if it makes a difference. i was able to log in as “user” but then didn’t have sufficient privileges to change the password. i have now exhausted my technology abilities.

• Posted April 30, 2009 at 8:22 am | Permalink

The user that you logged in as, does it have admin privileges? Was the user ID admin?

• Erica
        Posted May 5, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Hi, sorry it took me a while to get back to this. no, i was logged in as user, since i couldn’t get in as admin. it didn’t have privileges to change the password. i think it may just be broken, at least as far as resetting goes. thanks again.

37. Erica
    Posted April 29, 2009 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Hi.

I am trying to reset my DI 524, I’ve pressed the reset button several times (for as long as a minute probably) and the WLAN light never stops blinking. I can get on the internet through it, so it must not have a password on it, but when I go to 192.168.0.1 and leave it as admin, and just hit “Log in” it says http://192.168.0.1 Invalid password, please try again.” It doesn’t seem to have a password on it though! I don’t know what to try next, any ideas?
    Thanks

• Posted April 30, 2009 at 8:21 am | Permalink

The password to log into the administrative pages doesn’t prevent you from accessing the Internet. It looks like you need a password to connect to the admin pages, but you may or may not need a WPA/WEP passcode to connect to the Internet. Many times if you have previously setup the wireless network on your computer, you won’t be prompted to reenter the passcode.

For the reset button, does the lights on the router change when you hold it down. If not, then you may not be pressing the button in all the way.

38. John
    Posted April 22, 2009 at 12:42 am | Permalink

I was helping my brother with couple things. At his cable modem it is going to a DGL-4100 Router. Outputs to Desktop Direct, 2-XBOX 360 Direct, and to wall jack that goes to guest Room that has 2 Desktop Computers.

I had installed the D-Link DI-524 in there for 2 things; Direct to 2 other Desktop PC’s and to setup the wireless for PS3 in the family room. Was working fine till I did the current firmware upgrade on the DI-524. The Desktops and PS3 no longer recognize a internet connection? Help how to get this to work again is appreciated!

• Posted April 22, 2009 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Have you tried resetting the router back to factory defaults, and then resecuring it? You can always try unplugging the router, resetting the modem and then powering up the router once the modem is back online.

Also, verify that your router is assigning the proper number of IP addresses (don’t know why it would change, but it’s worth a peak) to ensure all your equipment can receive an IP address. Also, check the change log of the latest firmware update to see what was changed.

• John
        Posted April 22, 2009 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Paul,

Thanks for your suggestions… will check this out tonight.
        The firmware upgrade says improved performance. August 16, 2006 Version 1.23

Ironically I have the same router; DI-524 in my home. Back in 2007 when my son received the Wireless antenna for his XBOX360 the connection was really poor, losing connection etc… Did some research to find out there was this same firmware update for the DI-524. After the update the 360 has been running great over the wireless connection.

39. Kathleen
    Posted April 13, 2009 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Where is the PIN # located at? I can’t find it. I need it to setup a wireless connection on my laptop =/ It’s not on the back of my router. And I lost my CD and manual. Is there anyway to get the PIN number?

• Posted April 14, 2009 at 8:16 am | Permalink

What PIN # are you looking for? Once you reset your router, you can use the default user name and password to log in.

40. rishab
    Posted March 1, 2009 at 1:31 am | Permalink

I think 1 more piece of info. should have been mentioned.
    After resetting your router, change your network properties to “auto assign”, else you might get a connection to server timed out error [ depending on what your network setting was prior to resetting the router ].
    I just thought it was worth mentioning since some people above have complained of a server timed out error once the router was reset.

41. Jen
    Posted February 5, 2009 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Whoohoo!! Thanks SOOO much for your awesome articles about resetting the router and securing the network! You rock man!
    I inherited a DI-524 and didn’t know the first thing about wireless or routers. In fact to me a router is a hand held wood working device! lol

Followed all your instructions to the T, and presto wham-o, router reset, secured, and my laptop is now mobile around the condo!

You made my day!
    THANK YOU!!
    Jen – 50 yrs young! :)

42. miss d
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

I’ve set up my router I have internet and wireless but I want to set up the Admin/security but whenever i enter: 192.168.0.1 the browser page shows a Page Load Error, it says “The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.” I’ve tried this many times :(

• Posted January 30, 2009 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Can you try using 192.168.1.1, and see if you can get access to your router’s administrative pages?

• brandon Lemen
        Posted October 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

i have tried this and it doesn’t work is there another option?

43. Syed
    Posted January 14, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

My router is having problems. Like whenever i try resetting my router and then I go to my web browser and type in 192.168.0.1, I put in admin with no password in the password box and it doesn’t move on to the next page, it just sits there. What can I do? any more tips?

• Posted January 15, 2009 at 9:18 am | Permalink

What happens when you use 192.168.1.1?

• Kathleen
      Posted April 13, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

I have some problems. I went to 192.168.0.1, typed in admin and left the password blank..clicked OK. And after three tries it says 401 Unauthorized. It doesn’t go to the configuration menu.

• Posted April 14, 2009 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Try resetting the router again. Maybe something wasn’t reset properly.

• Reda
          Posted September 23, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Hi,
          You should keep puching the reset butom for 10 seconds,than it will for sure works .

44. piddien
    Posted September 19, 2008 at 8:27 am | Permalink

My reset button doesn’t work. Is there some way to do it in the web interface or through CLI or something?

45. K
    Posted July 14, 2008 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

If my router is plugged into my modem, and then my computer is plugged into the router, I cannot connect to the internet.

(a direct connection between modem and computer works fine)

So I tried to reset my router (My ISP told me I should try that) so I reset it while the computer was plugged into the router, but then I couldnt connect to the IP address you put here.

Do I have a different sort of problem?

46. Anonymous
    Posted June 30, 2008 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Try entering the password under admin in the log in, i think that might create the password for you.

47. chris
    Posted February 15, 2008 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

what happens is I type in admin with no password, and it let’s me move on to the open page, then I click on wizard and it takes me to the change password page, I leave the old password empty and type in my new password and once again in the confirm box, then it opens another box that wants my password,
    I tried typing admin and leaving the password blank also tried admin with new password, but it still locks me out wheream I going wrong?