Computing systems are an integral part of any volume of business. Most of the day to day activities are dependent on computers. Hence, these systems should be protected from both offline and online attacks. Your business requires a comprehensive policy on security.
You should know what kind of technologies should be deployed to boost productivity. You should not compromise on security while being lured by productivity. Let us find more about how small businesses can protect their systems and networks from various threats.
Comprehensive Security Policy
Every business should have a comprehensive security policy. As the number of employees grows in an organization, the importance of the policy will be realized more. Hence, even if you are having a single employee, you should have a policy which gives the direction for future recruits as well.
The policy should include the measures that will show the light for employees about how to use and how not to use systems and networks. The policy can be implemented in your company as per law and you will be able to take action against those who violate the same.
The policy should be accessible to all levels of employees and should be drafted in a language that is understood by a majority of employees. The policy should be reviewed and updated at regular intervals of time to make it more relevant to your business domain.
The security policy should include some or all of the following points:
- How data can be transferred into the computer (inward and outward)
- What kind of devices and data storage devices can be connected (CDs, DVDs, Pen Drives, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc.)
- Who can access systems and networks
- What kind of stuff can be downloaded from the internet
- What kind of software can be installed and who can install
- How employees can use business systems for their personal accomplishments
- Guidelines on passwords
- What kind of files and information can be shared with third parties?
- Email policy
- Social networking representation policy
Utilization of Technologies
While deploying new systems, networks, operating systems and application programs, careful analysis should be done at a security point of view. Productivity should not be expected at the expense of weak systems.
Type of technology selected to create a website, type of protocols implemented to process various transactions through the websites, leakage of information through network systems, etc. are possible scenarios where right decision should be taken to embrace relevant and most optimized technologies.
Businesses should also take steps to protect the integrity of data being accessed through various devices like iPads, Smartphones, etc. Further, the management and the associates who are engaged in protection of systems should be aware of the latest technologies and hardware configurations that can effectively accommodate safe technologies.
- It is essential to install robust firewall and anti-virus software on all computers. Even though firewalls are available with operating systems and routers, it is advisable to go for a premium one which offers more protective features. The anti-virus software should be updated at regular intervals of time. As the virus definitions are updated, your computer will be able to prevent latest forms of threats.
- The antivirus that you deploy in your systems should be able to catch various forms of malicious code including virus, Trojan horse, worm, spamming software, etc. The software should offer enough web protection. It should warn you if you come across a web page that has harmful script.
- You should get decent email protection from your antivirus software. Most of the dangerous code spreads through email attachments, instant messenger attachments and attachments on social media networks. Hence, you should not select links and attachments that are originating from unknown persons. Even if attachments are originating from known persons, if they look suspicious, you are advised to not to open such links and attachments.
- You should install the latest version of the web browser. You should also update the browser by installing patches as and when they are released. Appropriate settings should be selected to ensure that your browser will not let cookies store information for intruders without your knowledge.
- You should download files and install applications only from trusted sites.
- You should also ensure that all the employees will abide by the rules and regulations mentioned in the official security policy.
Provision of security for computers is essential. As technology is taking new heights, new forms of security loopholes are also exploited. Hence, by analyzing both physical and online security of systems, you will be able to define strong security policies.
These policies should be implemented at any cost. The expenditure incurred towards protection of systems will repay many times by preventing huge loss of data and interruption to business operations.