Fix: Audiodg.exe High CPU Usage

I recently had a problem when playing movies through iTunes on a laptop. At various parts of the movie, the entire laptop would become extremely slow, causing the movie to sputter. This happened at infrequent intervals. The laptop has a dual core 1.6Ghz and 2GB of RAM, so I new it was more than capable of playing a movie.

To look into the problem, I had the performance monitor running while I played a movie. Once the movie began to slow and sputter, I viewed the performance monitor to see which process was causing the problem. When I viewed the performance monitor I noticed that a process called audiodg.exe was consuming 35-40% of the CPU. I then investigated the problem and found a probable fix to the issue.

What is Audiodg.exe?

Audio

The audiodg.exe file made its appearance in Microsoft Vista, which explains why I haven’t seen this file before. When I viewed the properties of the file, the description stated Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation, which doesn’t help explain what it does.

After doing a little research I found out that the audiodg.exe file hosts the audio engine for Vista, and from what I hear Windows 7 as well. All the DSP and audio processing is performed within this file. Vendors are able to install their own DSP and audio effects into the audio pipeline, which will then be processed by audiodg.exe.

Unfortunately, this can also lead to some problems, as I experienced. Some audio effects can consume CPU and memory if not properly coded. How do we fix the problem? Lets take a look.

Disabling Audio Effects

In order to fix the high CPU usage, I disabled the audio enhancements processed by the audiodg.exe file. To disable the audio enhancements, use the following steps:

1. Right-click the speaker icon in the lower right corner.
  2. Select Playback Devices from the menu. A list of devices should appear on the screen.
  3. Double-click the device that has a green checkmark. The properties windows for that device should open.
  4. Click the Enhancements tab at the top.
  5. From the list of enhancements, uncheck all of them, or click the Disable all enhancements checkbox.
  6. Click the OK button to save your changes and close the window.
  7. Click OK to close the Playback Devices window.

Once I disabled the enhancements, the movie played without any issues. I also didn’t notice any difference in sound with the enhancements disabled. If I do want to use sound enhancements, I’ll stick to the the options provided in the application.

Kindle Edition: Check Amazon for Pricing Digital Only

Windows

1. Roberto
    Posted July 19, 2014 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Thanks loads. Worked like a charm. From the dates on this thread, this appears to be a problem that Microsoft has been ignoring for a long time!

2. Ady
    Posted April 25, 2014 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Finally … problem solved..many thanks…

3. Posted January 9, 2014 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

I simply couldn’t go away your site before suggesting that I extremely loved
    the usual info an individual supply in your visitors?
    Is gonna be back regularly in order to inspect new posts

4. Brooke
    Posted August 13, 2013 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Perfect solution, After making these changes i can even watch live streaming videos without any delay.
    Thanks Paul.

5. bohaaa
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Man
    you are awesome
    the CPU usage is died
    the overheating problem is stopped
    I was fucked up before your easy way to solve
    from my heart thanksssssssssssssss

6. Posted May 14, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I apologise in advance for the missing detail, but I wasn’t sure that it would work, so I didn’t post anything. I left the effects off because I don’t need them if I’m not using apps that use them anyway — but I found a Microsoft knowledgebase fix in a Google search and ran it. It worked so well that I forgot about it. But I also forgot about communications devices and the internal mic: When I popped open the controls and saw activity, it reminded me that I’m never alone.

7. Czarcass
    Posted May 13, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Disable effects and/or (and there is IMHO the main core of your problem..) – lower bitrate of audio playback in control panel / sound / speaker(s) / properties /advanced ..

8. Czarcass
    Posted May 13, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

9. Posted May 7, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

I followed your instructions to the letter — I haven’t been running any audio programs for a while — maybe for the whole day (session). It was eating 8.3% CPU beforehand and it’s eating about 8.3% CPU now. I’m not noticing a whole lot now, but it’s an ugly-looking distraction in my top processes as it periodically floats back up to the top for no apparent reason.

10. Posted April 24, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

really thx man i miss you D3 is like ferrari

11. ryan
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

A few weeks ago I mistakenly downloaded “Audials Tunebite Platinum 8.0″, so I could record some music from radio stations. That’s where it all started. Once the application was installed, I tried to test it, and it said it needed to download some other “thing” in order to record music. (Mistake #2) So I did. Although the software works as it should, it hogs my memory and CPU. So I landed here after I uninstalled it (with Revo) and saw that the famous audiodg.exe was somehow still there. ( I recognize is from MS, although, I refuse to believe it had been on my system prior to all this, b/c I would had seen it sometime, and never did). So, I tried Paul’s recommendation here, and it help somewhat, but the audiodg still was consuming obnoxiously. So I said, let’s get rid of it. Didn’t work either, no matter what I use, (shredders, Revo, ect.) it seems tattooed on my sys32. If someone here knows how to get rid of it, please help. Thanks in advance, and thanks Paul.

• Sean
      Posted April 23, 2014 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

the only way i found is unclick the option to let applications control it and I also disabled the mic that has kept my mem use at 6.1mb it would usually consume 1gb in 45 mins so mine works now.

12. Irina
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Hi everybody. I am trying to fix high cpu usage Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation.
    After I did 3 steps
    1.Right-click the speaker icon in the lower right corner.
    2.Select Playback Devices from the menu. A list of devices should appear on the screen.
    3.Double-click the device that has a green checkmark. The properties windows for that device should open.
    I have only 3 tabs: General, Levels and Advanced, I do not have Enhancements tab.
    How can I fix my problem?
    PS. I have high cpu usage while I am playing game.

13. Ruth K
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Sorry if I missed the answer, but I’m recovering from a concussion and must rest my brain (the ER MD hasn’t a lot of geeks as friends, imo)
    Any who…… your original instructions about unchecking all the things on speakers’ enhancements tab – I looked and none are checked.
    One check box was: Immediate mode, which I presume, when hit the play button, this, my new laptop, will produce a disco ball, a screamin’ dj and my life will turn into a party-immediately.
    I turned speech recognition off, right in the middle of dictating my list of my favorite swear phrases to see what would come up on the screen. I’m an injured geek, what can I say? Oh! Don’t ask! I can still type them -
    SERIOUSLY, the only thing loaded besides Norton, was my browser (the good one) and was on FB (I only look at the pictures) – what’s going on in there?
    Win 7, toshiba satellite P875 realtek hd surround sound multi language speakers (kidding)
    Sorry to come late to the party, but it’s a new problem for me and it just happened.. My MD would say it’s all in my head – concussion, head, get it?
    I won’t use my brain until you or someone equally fun and smart replies and thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge to make this world a better place. Now, if you could work on a cure for cancer, we’ll wait.
    Laughing through my tears,
    r

14. Aye
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks! This has helped me greatly.

15. Ranee Jaromin
    Posted December 18, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

I have this problem, but there is no Enhancements tab in my properties window. Any other suggestions?

16. bebbu
    Posted October 27, 2012 at 4:19 am | Permalink

OK, I signed up here JUST to tell you THANK YOU, Mr. Salmon, for going through the trouble of posting this bit of information!! I was told by HP that, since all my driver tests were clean and I had rebooted, etc., without getting my audio to return, that the only step left was to do system recovery! :’(((

I had tried everything! I have no idea why my computer would decide to change an audio setting in the middle of a PBS video, but it did. And finding your article was a lifesaver. I’m a student, and I just can’t do a system recovery in the middle of a very hectic quarter.

THANK YOU!!!!!! <3

• air
      Posted December 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

I hear you man. I dont know if I will have to signup but I would like to join your THANK YOU

17. Richard Seese
    Posted October 1, 2012 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Thanks for the fix! Worked like a charm!

18. Velho Novo
    Posted August 26, 2012 at 1:04 am | Permalink

Microsoft sucks with this file… Likely code:
    while(1)
    for(i=1;i<100000;i++)
    for(j=1;j<100000;j++)
    a = 1283658620845^i^j;
    b = a^j^i;
    audio_card_call_answer(void);

19. Posted August 13, 2012 at 2:59 am | Permalink

Hey y’all, I have this problem with my pc.. First of all my pc has a inter(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz processor with 6gb RAM and has 1TB intern and 64 bits controlsystem.. The problem contains that whenever i start playing games, not even TOP10 graphics i’m talking about counter-strike etc.. So whenever i play such games my processor starts using everything it has untill it kind of “crashes”. But when it “crashes”, it shows up a blackscreen and after that it says “no signal”. I first thought having problems with my graphics card etc.. But nah.. After my computer actually showed me that my processor used 100% of it’s ability and that the program: “Audiodg.exe” was that did it.. How do i fix this? I’d appreciate some advise & help because i have no clue, thx..

• Posted August 13, 2012 at 3:02 am | Permalink

By the way it might be corrupted, i have no clue at all. Plse help

20. ted
    Posted May 19, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Great tip and Thank you.

S microsoft

21. deepak
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 11:05 am | Permalink

I am waiting for reply friends.

22. deepak
    Posted May 17, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Hi All,

I have tried following solution

1. Disable all enhancement for audio n recording in enhancement tab
    2. both IDT and intel High Definition Audio HDMI card have update drivers.

Now what next i should try to resolve this issue.

I have notice that when i try to play any video on vlc, winamp.. or any player.. audiodg.exe get start n take cpu around 50%. Even on skype or any messenger when i start call it start taking CPU.

Please suggest me the solution.

Thanks in advance
    Deepak

23. John
    Posted March 9, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the tips. My own issue was that Speech Recognition was turned on. Even though it wasn’t working, it was still sucking resources. When I turned it off completely, Audiodg dropped from over 30% to under 1% CPU.

P.S. I highly recommend using Process Explorer to diagnose such issues. It’s helped me a lot over the years.

24. Hempi Bahtiar
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Thanks for information. I wish it would be useful for all PC users. :-)

25. Posted December 31, 2011 at 4:40 am | Permalink

I noticed that Microsoft has a hotfix for the audiodg.exe problem though they only have a hotfix for the x86 and x64 bit machines. Does anyone know if they have a fix for the x32 windows 7 computers?

26. none
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 9:27 am | Permalink

The only problem I have with audiodg.exe is the slow start-up when Vista 64 just started . If I play a mp3 file or play a youtube video (other type of videos as well) when the system is just rebooted, the sound does not come up right away, I have to wait for a considerable amount of time before the mp3 plays or the youtube video starts. Once “whatever” is loaded , I have no problem playing music or videos again, it just starts playing right away; but if I re-boot the computer , the problem repeats itself. I have to wait for something to load. I can’t unload audiodg.exe because as someone mentioned here , audiodg.exe is responsible for the sound enhancements which I enjoy. Anyone knows how to speed this “loading” up without unloading audiodg.exe?

• none
      Posted January 2, 2012 at 12:12 am | Permalink

Just want to let the readers know, the above mentioned audiodg.exe slow start-up problem is apparently solved – due to de-fragmented registry.

27. phil
    Posted December 17, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

FYI:

I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook and found that I had to disable both the microphone and the ‘stereo mix in’ to fix the excessive CPU use.

(The sound ‘card’ is called:Realtek High Definition audio)

Disabling the enhancements DID make an improvement, but not as much as disabling the ‘recording devices’, on this particular configuration.

28. Lini
    Posted November 4, 2011 at 4:05 am | Permalink

hai…
    I have a problem on high cpu usage because of audiodg.exe even after disabling all the enhancement properties… Can any one help me, Is there any other way to fix this problem…

• Posted November 4, 2011 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Have you updated the drivers to your sound card?

• Lini
        Posted November 5, 2011 at 3:01 am | Permalink

No. I don’t have any updates for my sound card. I bought my laptop a week before. could u tell me how to update the driver for sound card…

• Posted November 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

What I would do is determine what sound card you have and then go to the manufacturer’s web site. For example, if your sound card is from Creative Labs, go to the Creative Labs web site and download the latest driver. Some manufacturers also have an application that you can install to help determine what drivers you need to install.

• Chris
      Posted November 8, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

See my previous post — it’s probably caused by Skype. Try killing skype and see if it goes away. Skype is now owned by Microsoft and they are bringing their Windows expertise to bear…

29. Andres
    Posted October 23, 2011 at 11:27 am | Permalink

thanks for the help! I was sick of that problem.

I have to point out one thing though: turning the enhancements off does change the sound, I don’t know how to explain the change, but fortunately tweaking my winamp equalizer helps

• Posted October 24, 2011 at 8:13 am | Permalink

The enhancements will change the sound, as they are no longer modifying the sound. By using your Winamp equalizer you are in essence doing the same thing as the audio enhancements. I prefer to use the application that is associated with my sound hardware for enhancements.

30. Posted October 15, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Ok, so it is safe then. Thank god!

31. Chris
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

I tried the suggestions above (disable enhancements), and it didn’t help. I then notices that this issue did not come up if I logged in using a different account (admin vs. my personal account). Skype was enabled on my personal account (running in the background, not actually active). I killed skype and audiodg.exe went back to zero CPU. So skype seems to be the culprit for me. I’ll try updating or uninstall/reinstall skype,hopefully that will clear it up.

• Posted October 8, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

That is good to know about Skype. If there is a Skype update, then maybe performing the update will fix the issue.

32. IsMetoo
    Posted September 27, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

I wasn’t experiencing a problem but was looking to learn more about this particular exe. Thank you for stating the issue & fix in normal-speak. You don’t see that much these days. I’m sure that made it much easier for folks who don’t have years of experience in IT/CS.

33. Charles Phillips
    Posted August 1, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

i have finally entirely switched to OSX, Microsoft has dropped the ball so bad,

the only Microsoft product i still use is Microsoft Office, it does seem to work ok,

My suggestion is to get a solid hunk of milled aircraft aluminum, MacBook Pro,
    it will be the best laptop you have ever spend your hard earned currency on!

For a desktop get a solid hunk of milled aircraft aluminum / Glass Apple iMac, you can pick
    the 20″ for 1099.00 at microcenter, it comes with Aluminum mouse,,, Aluminum Keyboard,,,
    best money you will ever drop on a computer system. Very powerful and works Flawlessly!

• Robin
      Posted August 2, 2011 at 12:48 am | Permalink

I did have a MacBook Pro for a while, and I loved it. The problem was not being able to find compatible software for it. So, I returned it and bought this HP and went back to Windows. I do have to say that for the short amount of time that I had my MacBook, it did work very well, and the graphics were great. And I would have kept it, but I couldn’t find the programs in mac version. I wish there were more mac software. It would be nice if Apple made their computers a little more flexible.

• Posted August 2, 2011 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Macs are good products, overpriced in my opinion, but good products. I still prefer a PC since it allows me to install whatever I want, including my choice of operating system, and is much cheaper. Apple is starting to become a dictator with regards to what people can run on their devices. I have a desktop and laptop running Windows 7 and a laptop running Ubuntu. I have complete freedom over my systems.

• John L
      Posted August 22, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

As long as people like you willing to pay thousands for Macs there will be a flock of arrogant “Macheads” with their respective superiority complexes. If you feel better paying 2 to 3 times as much for your milled aluminum window dressing and an operating system so restrictive that you an run only a select group of compatible software, then the people at Apple have won over yet another misguided soul. You must be either “financially fortunate” or you just enjoy throwing away your money.

• Charles Phillips
        Posted August 22, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

i understand what you are saying, and i do not disagree with you ether, i agree that mac’s are over priced, i am really handy with hardware and osx, i just made my own iMac its pretty cool, not any kind of power house or anything, but it Runs osx and its all-in one, my main like about Apple is the OS, its a really good reliable/stable/refined OS, never does anything unexpected, But this is not totally because of apple, The UNIX operating system has always been known for stability and reliability, Reminds me of the Chevy 350, Runs for ever.

Here is my post reguarding that iMac i made, cost me like 220.00 to build.

• Robin Plante
          Posted August 29, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

That’s great that you made your own mac. I think the price of Macbooks is ridiculous. They are over rated. Yes, their operating systems are much more stable, but Macs are just too restrictive. I mean, $2100 for a 13 inch screen. That’s way too much money. Apple NEVER comes down on their prices. Their operating systems have upgrades, but nothing too exciting. I do agree that the screen resolution on the macs is awesome, but not enough for me to shell out that kind of money. Apple has a monopoly on their stuff and they know it. Even on the iPads, they do not support Adobe Flash. It’s turning people away. I must admit that I do love the iPad 2, the iPod touch, and their iPod shuffle, but I won’t buy a mac. My iPad can do just about anything a Macbook can do at a third of the cost. I purchased a bluetooth keyboard for my iPad 2 and it’s a portable pc. Much smaller and lighter than the Macbook.

• Charles Phillips
            Posted August 30, 2011 at 12:07 am | Permalink

at microcenter.com right now you can get a MacBook Pro for 999.00
            Sandy Bridge etc.

34. Robin
    Posted August 1, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

I just checked the settings on my computer. “Enable all enhancements” is not checked. I do have an option to disable them, though. I don’t really know what to do at the moment. Help is appreciated. This problem has been tearing my hair out!!!!

35. Robin
    Posted August 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I’ve been trying to find a solution to this problem every since I’ve had Windows 7. Now, I finally have a clue as to what is happening. Everytime I watch a DVD, or even playing a simple game, I get the Norton Performance Alert that the CPU usage is high and it’s a file called audiolog.exe. This file, audiodg.exe is the closest thing I could come to finding the file that Norton shows. It gives me the option of installing it, which I have never done yet. I just hope that the high cpu usage doesn’t damage my laptop or my desktop pc’s when I get this message. I never used Windows Vista. I never had this problem with XP. Only Windows 7. And I think I have a realtek video card. I’m so sick of this message. They told me at Best Buy that it was a virus. But I do appreciate all of this information. My laptop is a high end one. I would think that it could handle this problem easily. Now, I’m wondering if this is related to using Norton’s Anti Virus? Can clues would be appreciated.

36. Jude
    Posted July 24, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

I have the same issue, except it ends up taking up 99% – 100% of CPU, and when I checked the enhancements, it said they were all disabled. So how do I fix that?

37. alireza
    Posted July 10, 2011 at 7:08 am | Permalink

Thanks very much. You are a genius.
    This problem was killing me. now its gone.

• Posted July 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks Alireza. I’m glad that the problem has gone away for you.

38. Anum
    Posted June 13, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Hi again,

So i took notice of what was stalling my PC. During the video playback the following were using the RAM:

audiodg.exe*32 13%
    taskmagr 19%
    awwsc.exe*32
    crss.exe
    The above two were eating a considerable percentage of RAM though i did not catch how much.
    vlc.exe 47%

So basically vlc is taking the chunk, and it happens whichever player i use. I notice audiodg is still an issue though I followed the instructions in this post.

After I closed my video, my PC still hangs up, and needs to be restarted before it can work. It seems anything that is open occupies 100% of the RAM.
    they were:
    dwm.exe 22%
    utorrent 46%
    taskmgr 26% etc

I hope you can help. Thanks in advance, I look forward to your advice.
    Regards,
    anum

39. Anum
    Posted June 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Thank You. The next time I watch a movie I’ll make a note of what’s eating the RAM. But it is so difficult to even open the task manager. I have subscribed to your mailing list, and I will be in touch soon. Thanks.

40. Anum
    Posted June 10, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Hi,

I posted on this site sometime back, about how this step had not solved my problem. I’m jealous that soo many people fixed their computers because of the advice listed here. I can hardly work on my PC at times because of the way the RAM shoots up.

A summary:
    4 GB RAM is not sufficient to play a movie!! or listen to music and read online. My laptop heats up and spikes and becomes unresponsive. I have gone through many resources to solve this problem, but this is the only blog with the most favorable replies.

I’d appreciate any insight into the problem. By the way is it caused by fan problems? My laptop is a year and a half old. WOuld it benefit from a service? I am technologically challenged, sorry if my question is too basic!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

• Posted June 10, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

First, if RAM shoots up then you should look at what is using up so much of your RAM. If you right-click the bottom taskbar and select “Task Manager” you should see a list of running processes. You can then short the list by memory usage (if you don’t see that column, click “View->Select Columns” and then select “Mem Usage”.

Once you are able to see which application(s) is using up the memory, then we can start to look at solutions.

One laptop I am using has 2 GB of RAM, and I have had no issues watching a movie or listening to music on that laptop.

• Eliza Doolittle
        Posted October 10, 2012 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Any time I hear my computer make noises like the hard drive is working hard, I take a look at task manager. I hear the noise continue until I click “show processes from all users.” Instantly the activity stops.

When I click on that process as an administrator, I am not allowed to make any changes in priority or anything like that.

No enhancements, no fancy audio, nothing that applies to me in any of the fixes suggested here. There was, somewhere not in this blog, an actual FixIt for this, and when I ran it, it said this does not apply to this computer.

Moreover, when I search (yes hidden files and folders) for Audiodg.exe, it doesn’t appear.

Any advice?

41. Apachee
    Posted June 10, 2011 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Excellent job. Thanks. Now we need to take care of mscorsv….something. I know it is some sort of optimizer but I did not buy my computer to optimize microsoft crap. I need to get some use out of it too, right?

• Posted June 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

The mscorsvw.exe file is used by the .Net framework to precompile .Net assemblies. After a few minutes it should stop using up CPU. If not, then just let it run and see if it completes its task and then stops on its own.

42. Mahmood Almarzooqi
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Thanks a lot for the solutions. I’ve been getting this problem a couple of days back without any specific reason.

43. Per
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

My Hero!! Very annyoing Microsoft!

44. Rachael
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 3:07 am | Permalink

Roman, I don’t appear to have any such options – where should I find it? The only solution I have found is to switch off my webcam until the audiodg returns to normal then switch it back on again which is no good when using skpye for a webcam call. The problem occurs generally every 5 minutes.

45. Rachael
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

I have tried this fix but unfortunately it has not worked in respect of audiodg and skpye. Can anyone help?

Thanks

• Roman -Slovenia
      Posted May 10, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Rachael, did you try as I” wrote in comment on April 11, 2011 at 6:08 pm?

Regards Roman-Slovenia

46. Martha
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks! I bought the computer new two weeks ago and thought I had to return it.

47. bravehaert
    Posted May 8, 2011 at 6:41 am | Permalink

Thank you verry much, it solved my problem.

48. John
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 4:03 am | Permalink

Hi! I followed your instructions listed above and it did the job exactly like you said it would.Thank you this has been a nagging problem that I could not find the answer to,and I have checked many places.
    Thanks again for sharing with all of us.

• Posted May 4, 2011 at 8:28 am | Permalink

It seems many people have had issues with audiodg.exe using a lot of CPU. There could be many reasons, and this is just one solution.

49. joe
    Posted May 2, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

First off, PAUL you are awesome!!! thank you so doggone much!! And Roman thank you as well, cause your solution complimented Paul’s! You both saved me from a massive headache. I was getting ready to pour gas on my machine and light a match! :-) KUDOS

-Joe

• Posted May 3, 2011 at 8:18 am | Permalink

With the price of gas nowadays, I’m glad I could save you some good money.

50. Posted May 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Huh! I don’t know why, but that worked! Thanks!

51. Cliff
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:40 am | Permalink

100% working…Thanks!

52. Anum
    Posted April 20, 2011 at 3:30 am | Permalink

Hi Roman, thanks for replying.

I have Realtek, but there’s no Audio File next.
    I’ll paste the paths I have. As far as i think (and Im no expert) there’s no executable program.

Program Files/Realtek/NICDRV_8169 (this folder has a text file, an application which is the installer, a .dat file, and file folders. I dont think Realtek is installed in my Computer)
    and
    Program Files/Realtek/Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader (this folder has some .dll files, applications, file folders and .sys files)

If you need any details please let me know… Thanks

53. Roman -Slovenia
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Anum,

by mee is Realtek HD Audio Maneger orange Speaker icon on lover right corner.
    Left mouse buton on it and start Sound Maneger and then folow instruction from April 11.
    If you dunt have icon see if you have c:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtHDVCpl.exe
    and start this and then folow instruction from April 11.
    Once I wrote some links to pictures with instructions but, it was remowed by admin, Sorry.

Regards Roman-Slovenia

54. Anum
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

I checked my computer for updated drivers once again. HP informs me they’re all up to date :S

55. Anum
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Hi Paul,

Yes as far as i know all my drivers are up to date, still no success :S

Hi Roman,

No I havent tried your solution. could you please guide me, where to find the sound manager? It doesnt come up when i search for it in Start…

Thanks once again!

56. Anum
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

I have the same problem of my system hogging the RAM when i watch videos, though i havent noticed this happening with music. Anyway, I have 4GB of RAM, windows 7 64 bit. Every time i play a video, whether i use Media player or VLC, it eats up all my RAM and windows freezes up. My laptop is slightly over a year old, purchased it in Dec 2009. Since then i have reformatted it at least thrice because of this issue alone. It crops after every 3 or 4 months of having used the PC after reformatting. I followed the tip posted in this article, as vlc.exe and the audio graph thing were hogging my RAM. I disabled enhancements but i still seem to have the issue, with vlc.exe or other processes like svchost.exe eating it up. My RAM goes up to 100%, spread between various processes when i watch a movie although otherwise it remains under 10% no matter what i do.

I have tried various anti virus and malware scans but to no avail. I also used a registry repair cleaner thing but to no avail.
    If anyone can help me, i’d be extremely grateful. Thank You

Btw, my laptop is from HP, Pavilion DV6…

• Posted April 18, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Have you installed the latest drivers for all your hardware, ie. sound card, video card, etc.?

• Roman -Slovenia
      Posted April 18, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Anum, did you try as I” wrote in comment on April 11, 2011 at 6:08 pm?

Regards Roman-Slovenia

57. wehttam321
    Posted April 13, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

You saved me! My computer was using about 80% and now it is only at 10% wow! your the best!

• Posted April 13, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

I’m glad the solution worked for you. Having audiodg.exe using a lot of CPU can be a pain.

58. Roman -Slovenia
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

SOLUTION —> By me it works these:

Sound maneger/Click on yelow sign in upper right corner-Connector Settings/Empty check square for function [ Disable front pannel jack detection] OK.

My CPU(Athlon3200) go from 23% on to 2%.
    If works by you, say Thanx.

Regards , Roman, Europe-Slovenia

59. Matthew Brand
    Posted April 6, 2011 at 4:16 am | Permalink

Why has Microsoft not fixed this in one of their billion updates?

• Posted April 6, 2011 at 8:04 am | Permalink

It may be impossible to fix as it is probably more affected by the hardware that is installed and what is running on the computer. There are infinite possibilities, and to test them all is not possible. The best you can do is to keep your drivers updated, and to disable the enhancements if needed.

60. Roman -Slovenia
    Posted April 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

By me it works these:

My CPU(Athlon3200) go from 23% on to 2%.
    If works by you, say Thanx.

Regards , Roman, Europe-Slovenia

61. Matthew Brand
    Posted March 31, 2011 at 2:43 am | Permalink

Along with their MSMP.exe program auidolg.exe makes the Windows experience abysmal. When they are both going at once you cannot do a single thing. Even opening Task Manager to kill these stupid processes takes ages. Why, oh why, have MS included these ridiculous programs in Windows?

• Posted March 31, 2011 at 8:11 am | Permalink

Since I have disabled the enhancements, I really haven’t had any issues with either program. I do have a i7 core with 6 GB RAM computer, so that definitely prevents many slowness issues.

62. DaPirate
    Posted March 30, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

I have a HP Pavilion dv7-3165dx Dual AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-core Mobile M620 processors. 2.5GHz 4GB ram 64bit OS with Windows 7

I was getting 100% usage of 1 CPU message quit often the last week. I didn’t change anything or update anything that I was aware of.

I did the
    right click on the speaker icon at the bottom right.
    select Playback Devices
    highlight the icon with the green check mark
    click Properties
    click the Advanced tap
    uncheck Enable audio enhancements

which did not help.

In looking at many forums, I found 1 that said it might be outdated audio drivers. I found link to SlimDrivers which is a freeware that once installed, will search for updated drivers automatically. I found both my ATI and IDT drivers had updates which I gladly downloaded and appears to have corrected the problem. :)

Heres a link to the site I used to get the freeware slimdriver.

• Posted March 31, 2011 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Outdated drivers can be the cause of serveral problems, including high CPU usage for applications and processes. I try to keep my drivers updated on a regular basis, mainly for compatibility reasons.

63. Roman -Slovenia
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Sorry, links on images in my manual are blocked by system, but Copy Paste in to browser woks fine.

Regards, Roman

64. Matthew Brand
    Posted March 21, 2011 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Audiolg.exe is like many programs. Source code:

if (user_is_trying_to_do_something_like_watch_a_movie)
    {
    while (true)
    {
    spin disk like f***ing crazy and block all other processes
    }
    } else {
    download huge update and force user to restart computer
    }

65. Varun
    Posted March 20, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    I disabled the enhancements for my speakers. However, audiodg.exe still consumes around 50% of my CPU. I still get extremely slow video streaming and my entire computer seems to freeze.

66. Sam
    Posted March 14, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Paul, thanks for your reply and suggestions. I’ve done the expensive headphones (Hauppauge) thing already and they’re not a good fix for a number of reasons, relevant to my own laptop usage and physical limitations.

I’m very interested to know how you zapped audiodg.exe completely off your system. From what I’ve read (someone called Larry who seems to be a staunch flagwaver for MS), it’s an integral part of the OS without which there can be no sound.

Did you just delete audiodg.exe and rig up another .exe? If so which?

I also wanted to add an update to my wrasslings with this WIN7 sound lash up. There’s some good news.

I downloaded the latest drivers (HD Audio Codecs: R2.58 dated 2011/3/2 & ATI HDMI Audio Device R2.55 dated 2010/12/3, although I never use this HDMI facility) from Realtek’s site directly. I uninstalled old Realtek drivers and uploaded new.

After going though all the bootup routines etc I then twiddled with the settings. First thing I did was to disable the enhancements in Windows Sound panel (>choose Speakers Properties >Enhancements tab>check ‘Disable all sound effects. You can do this through the Realtek HD Audio Manager panel too=same difference).

Next I looked at the Realtek HD Audio Manager control panel. In the Dolby tab I unchecked Audio Enhanced and Surround Sound.This is a KEY point because I’d never unchecked these before in the two previous installations. As far as I was concerned they just sat there doing nothing and I thought they only affected the ATI HDMI Device as and when it was playing.

The audiodg.exe reading in System Explorer was at a reasonable level : less than 5% CPU resources.

As an experiment, I went back to Windows Sound panel and re-enabled the(ordinary, non-Dolby) sound enhancements to see how much it would eat into CPU power because I really want Realtek’s enhancements – that is, would audiodg.exe chomp up 15-20% CPU as it had before when these were enabled?

The good news is that WITH Realtek’s audio enhancements enabled audiodg.exe was now stable around 0-5% +/-! Yip!

Then – added delight! – I checked Realtek’s HD Audio Manager control panel and found that they’ve added a simple graphics equalizer choice (in addition to the dorky useless presets). Joy of joys!

So now I’m able to tweak sound settings to a much higher degree (Realtek had offered this facility for years up until VISTA – ridiculous that they took it away during the VISTA and early WIN7 years and left us with what looked and sounded like kindergarten ‘choices’.)

So what’s happened here?? How is audiodg.exe now using a reduced level of CPU resources whilst using Realtek enhancements?

*Theories (please discuss at will!)

- Realtek finally got their act together and updated their drivers to work better with audiodg.exe?

- Disabling Realtek’s Dolby Home Theatre enhancements (Audio Enahncer and Sound Surround) made the difference? (If so then why has no one else discovered this fix before?) NB, this is not the same as disabling enhancements in Realtek Manager control panel/Windows Sound>Enhancements tab.

- The Realtek drivers that shipped with WIN7 and previously VISTA were badly written? I notice that Realtek have not released driver updates for a very long time.

- Aliens dunnit?

The config I have now is a darn sight better CPU-wise and sound-wise – plus it’s stable I’ve found over the last couple of days.

I hope this rather long description helps someone. After several years of struggling with a hot CPU and crappy drivers this solution which allows users to enjoy enhancements at no or little extra cost to CPU really does need to get out there!

• Posted March 15, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

I’m glad you managed to get your CPU-usage under control. I think aliens may have dunnit. No seriously, maybe the new Realtek drivers may have led to the reduced CPU usage. Drivers tend to have that effect at times – especially if someone noticed that they were the cause of the CPU usage increase. If someone reading this were to have the same issues, and then have the CPU usage drop after updating the drivers, then chances are the drivers were the problem.

As for the audiodg.exe not running on my system, that is a good question. When I view the processes, I don’t see it listed, although I am logged in with a standard user account, so maybe some of the processes aren’t listed. I’ll have to do some more investigation into what is going on with that process. If I am able to stop it entirely, I’ll post a follow up article explaining the steps.

67. Sam
    Posted March 13, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your advice TE.

I’ve had this problem on 2 ACER laptops now – a VISTA and a WIN7. The older ACER laptop running on XP ran like a dream/still runs like a dream – the screen needs replacing though.

So, I’ve done all the research I can to find a fix on the VISTA and WIN7 machine.

I don’t want to offend you but disabling Realtek is simply not a fix. Realtek is provided by Acer in an effort to ‘improve your audio experience’. Without it, Acer/MS OS audio is pretty crap. What’s the point of watching a flashy HD DVD and listening to nasty, tinny Windows bog-standard audio?

From my wandering round the web, I can see that this has been an issue since early 2007 – probably when MS inflicted VISTA on us. WIN7 seems to have inherited this awful audiodg.exe set up.

MS has not fixed it, Acer has not fixed it, Realtek has not fixed it. They all know well about the problem which is very widespread. Each of them points a finger at the others.

The core of this problem, denied vehemently by MS, is that audiodg.exe is loaded with filters and callbacks which impose Digital Rights Management conditions on anything you play. In other words, your audiodg.exe is spying on you and making sure that you don’t play anything it thinks you haven’t paid for legally.

It’s no wonder that Realtek etc can’t interface so well with this heavy-handed MS-MUSIC/MOVIE industry ploy. Indeed, why should audio s/w manufacturers go to considerable lengths to accommodate this DRM enforcement? Realtek, Creative et al are just in the business of providing audio enhancement players – not law enforcement!!

I’m really surprised that no enterprising code jockey hasn’t hacked audiodg.exe and come up with a better, permananent solution.

Meanwhile, sorry that I can’t add anything to finding a solution – just wanted to give more background to why millions (?) of VISTA and WIN7 users are forced to suffer this backdoor law enforcement. As I said, disabling enhancements is not a fix if you want your machine to function as it claims on the box. We’ve all been sold a pup.

• Posted March 13, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your comment. Companies usually like to put the blame on another company – it is in their nature.

As for the audiodg.exe, I don’t even have that process running on my Windows 7 system. I have disabled all enhancements, and still get amazing sound.

One thing we need to keep in mind – the audiodg.exe enhancements are software enhancements so they are fake. They are meant to produce better sound from cheaper speakers.

If you want an alternative you can buy external speakers that provide better sound than the laptop speakers. You can also look at buying a USB headphone, such as the Logitech G35. I use those with my desktop and haven’t had an issue. Plus, these headphones won’t use the buildin sound hardware but will use their own so you may get better quality sound than what you laptop is providing.

While you may not want to disable the enhancements with your current sound setup, by looking at alternatives you may be able to get better sound and disable the enhancements with a little investment.

• notimeforbull
      Posted March 30, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

What, if i may ask, is the evidence that audiodg.exe is indeed used for DRM enforcement, except a juicy conspiracy theory? It seems to me the case that this module is now used for application to channel their sound output to, instead of straight to the audio device. An upside of this is that sound devices can be switched, say if you have a gaming headset with it’s own internal sound card and another one connected to your stereo like i do. This was impossible in Windows XP, after changing sound output devices, an application needed to be restarted for that change to take effect. The audiodg.exe allows some optional processing like the enhancements mentioned earlier in the process. One would wish though that Microsoft came up with a less CPU hogging solution and let the hardware of the sound devices do the hard work.

• Posted June 2, 2012 at 9:08 am | Permalink

I tried this fix and it indeed made my sound extremely crappy. Realtek Audio on a Windows 7 Home Premium notebook. While attending to another problem I had with Windows Media Player, I discovered how to remove audiodg.exe from the running processes. It’s pretty easy. Turn off Windows Media Player from Programs and Features in the Control Panel. Also, disable Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or wmpnetwk.exe in Windows Services. There’s lots of free replacements and codecs for WMP online. I use Windows Media Player Classic and the Combined Community Codec Pack. I decided that uninstalling Windows Media Player might cause too many problems. Turning it off did the trick.

68. Mike G
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 10:10 am | Permalink

This file cannot be removed without killing the audio entirely. everything that makes noise from your computer (with the exception of the noise the harddrive makes) is piped through this application in order to come out your speakers. Without it, you will hear nothing.

69. Vad
    Posted February 27, 2011 at 1:39 am | Permalink

I disable all the enhancements but then my sound turns off all i can hear is the back round sound anyway to uninstall this thing???

70. Totto
    Posted February 8, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Thank You for the instructions. The problem I have is that when I disable the audio enhancements the sound from my 5.1 is practically rubbish. It becomes very quiet, the bass is gone, if I turn the volume up nothing happens etc.

I know this is because the enhancements aren’t active, but is there a way to bypass this? With the thing on audiodg consumes about 40 percent of the cpu time, which is the equivalent of doing a moderately intensive task.

Thanks again for the advice! Totto

71. prankstare
    Posted February 4, 2011 at 12:55 am | Permalink

I have disabled improvments but the process is still killing a lot of CPU resources here on Windows 7 :(

72. hotshot309
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

It’s so simple, but this fix was really helpful. I was experiencing the same issues on a fast machine until I did this. Thanks.

By the way, I had no enhancements actually selected on any of my enabled sound devices, but explicitly disabling all enhancements definitely made a difference. I’d recommend disabling enhancements on ALL devices that are enabled right now, even those that are not the default device (the one with the green checkmark next to it). In fact, you might also be better off disabling all input and output audio devices you don’t need right now (microphones, etc.) if you are having performance problems.

• Marcel
      Posted January 7, 2011 at 2:41 am | Permalink

Thanks for the info. I’ll try and disable that when i get home from work. I have so many problems with audiodg.exe. Sometimes i go into skype, then it doesnt log me in until i end the process of audiodg in my task manager. Then it will start a new audiodg that is fine again. I have picked up that i get problems when the audiodg process goes higher than 10mb running speed. I also have facebook and internet browsing or video streaming problems when the audiodg gives me problems. I then just end the task and its fine again, or when its not fine then i have to run a mp3 through my mediamonkey mp3 player that allows a new audio playback to begin also resulting in creating a new audiodg “fixed”. But this problem sucks, because it happens at least once per day.
      So thanks for the fix, i’ll try it later.

73. Uewd
    Posted January 2, 2011 at 10:00 am | Permalink

And forgot to say thanks for the help.

74. Uewd
    Posted January 2, 2011 at 10:00 am | Permalink

You said in step 5 to click Disable all enhancements. I have in windows 7 Disable all sound effects.

75. Posted December 29, 2010 at 9:13 am | Permalink

scanning your system with updated antivirus would be a good starting point.

76. tam
    Posted December 23, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Or you can disable the Multimedia Class Scheduler service. It gives more cpu to multimedia within the first 5 minutes of boot (including during login). You’d have to remove it as a dependency of the Windows Audio service in the registry or with the sc command.

77. Anthony
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:52 am | Permalink

I appreciate the advice you gave but the thing is I got the message this morning by Norton Insight that audiodg was causing high cpu usage and I followed your advice but everything was already disabled meaning the enhancements that is. Well they weren’t “disabled” per se but they weren’t checked to begin with. Meaning any of the sound enhancements were never checked to begin with so where does that leave me in dealing with this problem? Have any ideas let me know.

• Anthony
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Oh well and I forgot to add that my speakers for my laptop aren’t even turned on most of the time so why the high cpu usage for something meaning my laptop speakers that is that I don’t even have on 3 quarters of the time? High cpu usage for a feature that is basically mostly inactive as I choose not to turn on the speakers most of the time anyway. Sounds weird but it’s true.

• Stuart
      Posted January 30, 2011 at 10:13 am | Permalink

check the box to disable them all anyway regardless of whether any of the others are unchecked none of mine were checked either but I checked disable all and well I have not more problems with it :D

• Stuart
        Posted January 30, 2011 at 10:15 am | Permalink

no* sorry typo xD

78. Charles
    Posted November 22, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Here’s something else with audiodg.exe with which I have a BIIIIIIIGGGGGG problem.

It frigging RESAMPLES all the audio!!!!!!!!!!

Have any of you ever heard of conversion and resampling errors and distortion???????!!!!!

Sheez, Windows, the least you could do is give us the option to TAKE IT COMPLETELY OUT OF THE SIGNAL PATH, YOU KNOW???

YOU KNOW?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted November 23, 2010 at 8:13 am | Permalink

The resampling is the main reason I disable it. Looking in my Task Manager, it the process isn’t running, so it looks like I don’t have to worry about any resampling.

79. Marina
    Posted November 22, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Hello,thank you so much for giving this useful piece of advice!However I did what you said and the high cpu usage remained the same… I can’t actually say I encounter problems when playing movies,I’m actually only on the internet (no music,no videos whatsoever) and the audiodg.exe remains high.I can’t understand why… And my laptop is burning… :/ I’d be grateful if you had an idea on that :)

• Posted November 23, 2010 at 8:12 am | Permalink

As Charles Phillips pointed out in an earlier comment, did you disable the enhancements for both play back and recording?

80. stony404
    Posted November 21, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Sorted my high cpu usage when playing HD content (win7 32 bit)

Thank you!!

81. Lucy R
    Posted November 18, 2010 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Thank you!
    I have spent hours and hours trying to sort out the sound on a laptop and this seems to have sorted it!!

82. Posted November 17, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

hey to add to this blog you have to ” disable all sound effects ” for both play back and recording.

this is for Windows 7.

it will eat cpu like its free if you don’t.

• Posted November 18, 2010 at 8:25 am | Permalink

I guess Microsoft included audiodg.exe to allow those without sound cards/speakers that support specific enhancements, to try and get better sound. I would just upgrade the sound card since they aren’t expensive.

Thanks for the update.

• Posted November 18, 2010 at 11:56 am | Permalink

well the realtek sound chip in there is fine, its works flawlessly in OSX,
        this is a laptop, it dual boots Snowleopard 10.6.5 and the windows7 it came with,
        the only issue in osx i have is the gma 4500 is not supported so i am stuck with framebuffer, but other then that everything works 100% flawlessly.

and the audiodg fix you posted has gotten rid of 30 to 50% cup usage in windows 7, now at idle the cpu is just bounces between 1 – 3 % just like it should.!

thanks again!

83. Posted November 17, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

thank you for this useful post!

Charles,

my mac never does stupid shit like this.

84. Rachel
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

I’ve been having ridiculous CPU issues for over a year, and have worked with dozens of Dell tech support people who all tried a million things but apparently not this. I always told them my computer froze and went up to 100% CPU when watching videos or movies or doing videochat, but somehow they never thought to do this. but this has solved my problem, THANK YOU!!! Soo simple.

85. Rafael
    Posted October 1, 2010 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Thank you very much. It also helped me. Im running Windows 7 64-bit and sometimes(not always) when I played music in Windows Media Player, audiodg.exe was using full cpu of one of my processors. After disabling sound effects everything was OK. Also, Im using DFX Audio Enhancement for WMP, so I thought originally that DFX was the problem. but as it seems, is not DFX, but Windows sound effects.

As said previously, I didn’t find any difference in audio quality when disabling all effects.

Thanks again for the research and for sharing with us this easy solution.

• Posted October 1, 2010 at 8:06 am | Permalink

The DFX Audio Enhancements probably can pretty much do what some of the Windows audio enhancements can. In that case, you wouldn’t have noticed to much of a difference.

86. Dragan
    Posted September 27, 2010 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Same problem with my Acer Aspire 7738G with Windows 7. My laptop blocked in most of the time i messed around the sound settings to make my volume higher. Thanks mate, cheers!

• Posted September 27, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

I haven’t experienced many problems with audiodg.exe, but with the wrong audio enhancements, you could run into problems with CPU usage. I always recommend to disable audio enhancments, unless you need them.

87. Errol Seef
    Posted September 20, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Great help for a non techie such as myself in helping to sort out this audiodg file which was creating delays in working with large excel files. Do not even have the audio feature on.

88. Mark
    Posted September 6, 2010 at 10:05 am | Permalink

I had the same problem. My Acer Aspire One had no playback effects enabled, but did have “Acoustic Echo Cancellation” under Recording Devices->Microphone Properties. audiodg went from 20% CPU during video to being a non-issue after clicking “Disable all sound effects”.

Thanks for the solid research here — you saved me several hours time!

• Posted September 6, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I’m glad I could help.

• Ben
        Posted September 26, 2010 at 6:40 am | Permalink

Thank you that works for Windows 7 as well, its called a little different in Win7 then in Vista but the directions are the same. Only thing is it disable all sound effects. Thanks

• Posted September 27, 2010 at 8:29 am | Permalink

You can enable certain sound effects if you choose, but you must remember that it uses the CPU to generate those effects since they are created through software. I would check to see if you sound card has the ability to produce the sound effects through its application instead.

89. Posted September 1, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

I’m on Windows 7 and this Enhancements tab doesn’t exist here, so I couldn’t get anything to work. Hmm. :\

• Posted September 2, 2010 at 9:08 am | Permalink

It should work the same for Windows 7 – unless you have hidden the speaker icon. I am working on another post that shows how to disable audio enhancements through the Control Panel on Windows 7.

90. Tom
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

I did notice the difference…. because i have a frigging high quality sound card with a 300 euros 5.1 sound system

and disabling it made the sound of the music sound alll ewww

• Posted August 28, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Hmm…interesting. I wonder why your music needs software enhancements to make it sound good on your sound system? The audio enhancements performed by audiodg.exe are not natural, because they are created by software.

91. Jodo Kast
    Posted August 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

The fix worked perfect for me! Thanks!

Now how do I fix this same issue in OSX? I can’t find the audio driver configuration.

• Posted August 27, 2010 at 8:07 am | Permalink

I’m glad the fix worked for you. I’m not sure how to fix the same issue on OS X. Perhaps others would know.

92. Max
    Posted August 8, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Audiodg.exe is using %100 of my CPU. I can’t even open the playback devices menu.

• Posted August 8, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Are you running anything that is using sound at the moment? If you are, try closing down that app and then open the playback devices menu.

93. Rob
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

thanks so much man been haveing a problem with this for a wile. was rather annoying

94. Eli
    Posted August 7, 2010 at 5:23 am | Permalink

Worked but made spotify sound like shyte!

• Posted August 7, 2010 at 11:21 am | Permalink

If you sound card has an associated application, try using any enhancements with that application instead. Also, in application themselves, there may be a way to enhance the sound.

95. Posted August 5, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

didn’t work

• Posted August 5, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

It may not be the problem for the high CPU usage. It looks like you have another issue. Have you updated all your drivers?

96. Thomas
    Posted July 25, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks, it really works!!

97. Sarbor
    Posted July 16, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks! It works!!

98. Antonio Nalli
    Posted July 15, 2010 at 6:01 am | Permalink

It works great, but for solving al all my issue, I had to do the same for Mic.
    Tks a lot.

99. Posted July 14, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

I use Hercules RMX as an external soundcard. I wonder if I need audiodg.exe at all?

• Posted July 14, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

I don’t think you can get rid of it complete as it is part of Windows. You can, however, disable the enhancements, as you may have better enhancements options with your soundcard.

100. Alfredo Hernandez
    Posted July 13, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks a lot ! It’s working well right now !!

101. Rajesh
    Posted July 11, 2010 at 3:25 am | Permalink

This worked great. Thanks for the tip. I was struggling with this problem for over a month.

102. Dan
    Posted July 8, 2010 at 2:36 am | Permalink

- I got Windows7 Pro – and it’s about gaming – I don’t mind 20-30% CPU load – but i can’t really play any decent games with this packed up AudioEngine – I never noticed it on Vista…
    – and it’s true – it helps disabling every audio enhancement (I got SRS Premium Sound) and downgrading to “CD Quality”
    - i thought I had a good audio card – to do music – so to say… – and I get this funny AudioEngine… weird…

103. batheeb
    Posted June 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I owe my friend for you help.
    the problem really drove me nuts.I was thinking that there is a problem in the CPU.
    thank you again.

104. Colin
    Posted June 16, 2010 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Just shut down the audiodg and internet tv is better (football) but I have only just had this problem. Is it new?

105. Mehmet
    Posted June 14, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

Thank you, it also worked for me in Windows 7

106. Hunt3r
    Posted June 11, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Thank you very much it worked!

107. haschu
    Posted June 3, 2010 at 4:06 am | Permalink

in addition I removed BullGuard package completely and replaced it with licenced antivir_premium : Audiodg.exe cpu usage now isnearly allways 0 % , sometimes 2 % not more anymore, and ghas been > 50 % before onece in a minute or two.

Try out! haschu

108. Martin
    Posted June 1, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the tip – this has definitely reduced the CPU usage on my Vista laptop. For people that are claiming that the fix ‘doesn’t work’ – there could be another issue with your machine. As it stands the advice here is good. Thankyou.

109. FalseFix
    Posted May 27, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

This “fix” does not work. All enhancements removed etc. and audiodg.exe is still using 50-90%. Even if it uses only 1% it lags and freezes all games for like 2 minutes, then stops for 1 minute and freezes again. Changing audio drivers dont work either, nor does resetting vista to factory settings (tried).

If someone has a REAL solution, i’d like to hear it.

• George
      Posted May 29, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

It continues to amaze me just how rude people are. FalseFix, the guys trying to help – FOR FREE (as you like caps so much). You’re really only justified in taking that tone if you know the answer, maybe not even then. But don’t worry mate, I bet there’s a whole bunch of people out there desperate to help you.

• Alex
        Posted May 31, 2010 at 7:11 am | Permalink

I have this problem too but I cant solve it. I dont seem to have that tab enhancements. Any of u know why i dont have it?

110. Leslie
    Posted May 26, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Didn’t change my CPU usage for Windows 7, even when lowered to 16 bits.

111. Alex
    Posted May 25, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

This didndt worked for me, my CPU is still working above 50%, in fact, is occupying an entire core of my dual processor!!!

112. Kevin
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Thank you for posting this it made fixing this issue quite easy. I have not had the problem since i applied the fix but, if I do I will let everyone know. Again tyvm

113. murray
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 2:14 am | Permalink

thanks, totally helped my issues on vista. Ive been fighting with this for a while watching internet tv and this really helped. thanks again!

114. Zer0
    Posted May 2, 2010 at 5:57 am | Permalink

Just been having a few problems with video grinding to a halt and freezing for a 10-20 seconds before coming back to normal. Seemed weird to me as a new quad core should be able play SD tv content without issue.

I am running Windows 7 and found your website as just after the problem happened I noticed in Task Manager that audiodg.exe was using 100% of one of my cores (or 25% of total CPU). I believe the problem was that audiodg seemed to be running single threaded so it would max out 1 core and then everything would slow down with it.

I followed your steps above, had no effects enabled. Checked the disable all effects button and apply and cpu usage of audiodg.exe dropped from 100% of 1 core down to 0% instantly. I had video playing while making the change and there is certainly no change to the video/audio quality due to the change, just immediate reduction in CPU usage.

Will keep an eye on it to make sure it actually resolves my video stutter issues.

• lolo0707
      Posted May 25, 2010 at 11:13 am | Permalink

You can try also to decrease the quality of the sound to 16bits

(follow the same steps and look for the “Advanced Options” tab (close to Enhancements tab) and set it up to 16 bit, 48000 Hz, DVD quality )

it is usually set up to 24bits…

… maybe it’ll help

115. ikke
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

I don’t believe this is a valid claim.
    I’ve tried this in Windows 7 and the CPU usage of audiodg.exe remains exactly the same.

116. mike
    Posted April 25, 2010 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Disabled all enhancements but the CPU still goes up to 6%. Still, much better than the 20% I was getting.

117. hm
    Posted April 23, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

yes my cpu load goes up to 18-20 sometimes audiodg – I found only 1 enhancement enabled
    thanks for info.

118. Posted April 16, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

THANK YOU! :) I did not have any effects enabled, but when I checked the disable box, my performance boosted, audiodg went to <3% cpu while watching online videoa

119. Wright
    Posted April 16, 2010 at 7:45 am | Permalink

My options only showed Disable all sound effect and ticking that works, however I don’t have any sounds effects on games etc or anything that uses them but I wish to have the sound effects so is there anything else I can do?

120. Evan
    Posted April 12, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

I just got a new laptop recently and i noticed that this process was using a lot of my CPU as well, thanks for the fix! It cut down the cpu usage by at least 14%! :D

121. James
    Posted April 11, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

I have win 7 and followed the steps that the article writter proposed. Instantly saw a huge perfomance boost in my machine. Thanks!

122. Paul
    Posted April 10, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Hey thanks mans. That was my problem too.

123. Randy
    Posted April 6, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

This doesn’t work for me, but then I only have a problem with AudioDG.exe when I am plugged into a docking station. I don’t have a problem at all when I am not plugged into a docking station. Any idea of why it acts crazy and eats all my CPU when plugged into a docking station only?

124. Max
    Posted April 6, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

i disabled enhance sound effects and it’s still accumulating, it hits up to 30% cpu, and when it does the whole system is stuttering and sometimes freezes irrationally

125. Paul
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Thank you very much, it worked on my 13-inch Macbook Pro.

Before I applied the fix, whenever I start or end a Youtube video audiodg.exe consumes 50% cpu usage for a a few seconds. Needless to say it was very inconvenient as doing this repeatedly would quickly turn on the fans.

Now I can play and pause Youtube videos without audiodg.exe acting up and keeping my MBP cool. Thanks again.

126. jeff
    Posted March 27, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

150 sound card about to become trash . creative xfi thanks again.

127. jeff
    Posted March 27, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

works ty

128. Anoy.
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 2:21 am | Permalink

Uhm, i got a windows 7
    you just open task manager, locate where the audiodg.exe is, and right click it after you find it.
    click run as admin. DO NOT CLOSE. i tried this and it works…. leave any comments :P

• Richard
      Posted April 11, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

I tried the 1st approach but when I got into the enhancements, none were checked so there was nothing to uncheck ?! Also tried the task manager approach but I do not have the open “run as admin.”

129. are you all on somthing
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Are you all on somthing of course it’s not good to turn off enhancements! it’s a function of thew sound system. Are you going to cut off your legs cause the shoe is crap. Call it what it is a shit operating system! this crap sofware is destroying my games videos etc……………………..

• Posted March 22, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

The enhancements aren’t needed to play the sound. They are just there to change how sounds are processed – through software not hardware. Most sound cards come with their own programs to enhance sounds, which is the more recommended than using Windows enhancements. I haven’t had a problem using the operating system with any games or videos, so I’m not sure why you are having such problems.

With your analogy of the legs, the audiodg.exe is like adding a cast to the legs when the legs aren’t broken.

130. Fabian Lewis
    Posted March 12, 2010 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Also want to express my kudos to you for saving me from this frustrating experience!
    I was now ready to stop ALL my work, and dig in to the system UNTIL I would find the solution to this problem. So I started w google and came to this your information… saved me a LOT of time.
    For reference: Acer Aspire Timeline 4810TZ, Realtek Chipset, Win7. Audiodg had around 18-22% utilization.
    Now turned off “Dolby headset” feature (as enhancement) resulting in 6-8%.
    Turing of all enhancements puts me at 4-5%.

131. nemesis423a
    Posted March 10, 2010 at 10:49 am | Permalink

TTTHHHAANNKKSSS AA LOOOT really, really A LOT.. i was ready to hit a new cpu cuz i instaled some new games and programs and i was thinkg that was the cause of the slow behaivor of my pc, now its normal the diferences its a reduce of 30 % of the volume of all aplication on mi pc but thats dosnt care because i have outside power audio enhancement. THANKS AGAIN and excuse my english.

132. Anthony
    Posted February 25, 2010 at 5:06 am | Permalink

I’m having the same problem, but i have a creative x-fi fatality sound card. disabling the enhancements does not do anything. I’ve tried to reinstall drivers an such, but it doesnt help. please help?

133. Mateo
    Posted February 19, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

ok guys,
    i half take back my previous comment… after reading this article and “fixing” the overloading of audiodg.exe, it kept bothering that I had to turn off the enhancements… after doing lots of research it turned out…. :::drum roll:::

it is the drivers…

the default Win7/Vista drivers for my realtek integrated audio were the caused of the audiodg CPU high load. I went to Realtek, downloaded the latest drivers, installed and now all my enhancements play happy with my computer.

This might not fix your problem but it did mine.

134. fahrer4184
    Posted February 19, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Excellent tip! Now I can get work done on my netbook while listening to music simultaneously, instead of one or the other. What’s even funnier… the music actually sounds BETTER to me without the enhancements. W7 can take audiodg.exe and shove it!

135. Mateo
    Posted February 12, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

audiodg.exe was driving me crazy… I didn’t understand why it kept taking 20-40% of CPU. well disabling enhancements fixed everything. I only had the volume boost on but it is very rare when i need it.

FYI. I was playing WMP inside Internet Explorer 8 and after 10-15 minutes of streaming it would “stutter” and wouldn’t stop until I turned off the wireless.

136. Jarrod
    Posted February 11, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Hey man thanks for this!
    It also turns out my headset works better in the black slot then the green.
    I now have little to none splutters and the lag has gone!
    I think..

137. xapubg
    Posted February 11, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Yes it solve the problem by disabling all audiu effects including equalizer’s.
    So my 2000 euro notebook has no bass boost :), thing i prefer cpu usage and better sound quality :)
    P.S. I don’t expirience the lag in movies only CPU usage is 25-30% but if I only wach movie it’s not a problem.
    P.P.S. sory for my english

• Posted February 14, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

I usually increase the bass using the soundcard’s equalizer instead of using audiodg.exe, or if my speakers support it, increasing the bass on my speakers.

138. akimsensei
    Posted February 10, 2010 at 9:52 am | Permalink

hi guys, thanks a lot for the tips above. very helpful.

139. David
    Posted February 6, 2010 at 4:13 am | Permalink

same problem using skype…cpu usage would go through the roof with audiodg.exe using 30-60%…sound quality would become unusable…thanks for the fix!

140. Bob
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

Thankyou for the advice. This has helped to reduce the CPU usage of this feature from over 50 % to virtually nothing. My whole computer is running considerably quicker as a result.

Thanks.

141. David
    Posted January 31, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Works for me too. Thanks.

David

142. Me
    Posted January 25, 2010 at 7:48 am | Permalink

Men, spread this page! If you google it up, you’ll see how many people have the only complicated prob with such
    a silly solution! By the way, it works great for me, THX man!

143. Evan
    Posted January 3, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I’ve got a problem HP can’t solve, maybe audiodg.exe is related. The mute button is stuck in the on (mute) position on my newly-purchased HP dv4t 1400. It’s what they call a QuickLaunch Button, meaning it’s a touch-sensitive setting above the keypad. After several email exchanges, removing and replacing the quicklaunch driver, the audio driver, flashing the BIOS, doing a hard reboot, and everything short of tossing chicken bones into a fire– HP has suggested I try reverting back to Vista and see if that helps. Upgrading from Vista to Win 7 took me hours– this is not happening. Besides, the problem only began about one week ago.

I’ve been trolling a wide range of forums like this searching for a solution. The problem seemed to begin concurrent with my fixing of a previous problem– browser hangups. I seem to have traded bug for another. This stuck mute button, which I insist is a software bug, not a hardware issue, was started by something I did while trying to fix browser hang problem. I had deleted the audio .dll called Staco64.dll, which I believe was the culprit, because I don’t have the problem any more. HP of course did not go down this road with me.

I’m NOT a tech guy. I’m Google-trained. Can you help?

• Tiny Tim
      Posted February 2, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Those DLL files were probably required to control the mute by the touch front pad buttons. Re-install win7 or replace those dll files. Upgrading from one os to another can sometimes cause issues anyway.

144. rafnex
    Posted December 30, 2009 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

This works for me too. Thanks dude

145. Dan
    Posted December 29, 2009 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Ah that’s sorted the problem no end!! Cheers mate:)

146. Rusio
    Posted December 29, 2009 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks man. Despite lowering consuption of processing power, disabling these audio effects made audio quality better than before. Beer for ya’ mate.

147. wowra
    Posted December 15, 2009 at 10:37 am | Permalink

thanks workt perfektly att windows /

148. Booty
    Posted December 13, 2009 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

You can certainly argue that Windows’ or Linux’s approach is better (I use both Windows and OSX, and favor Windows in some aspects) but I actually worry that somebody with such an incorrect understanding of the second most popular consumer operating system in the world is writing a blog on technology.

Stating that you can only use hardware that Apple wants you to use is technically and factually incorrect.

While Apple certainly locks you down as far as which systems can run OSX, they do not lock down what you can do with them once you own one, hardware-wise.

• Posted December 14, 2009 at 8:23 am | Permalink

USB audio device? I wasn’t talking about USB devices. Even my Wii supports some USB devices. I was talking about internal hardware, such as graphics cards, motherboards, sound cards and the like.

When something like that fails in a Mac, can you go into any computer store and have your choice of dozens of hardware options to replace one part?

I’m not against Mac as it is a great system, but I’m not a fan of the Mac fanboys.

149. Booty
    Posted December 13, 2009 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

“Of course Mac doesn’t have these problems. It is a system built for one system only – no choice as to what you can have. You are stuck with what Apple gives you…nothing more”

Utterly, utterly incorrect.

A wide variety of third-party audio devices work with OSX — for instance, any standard USB audio device is supported “out of the box” on OSX, and any manufacturer is free to write their own drivers for their audio devices.
    OSX’s peripheral support is exactly as “open” as Windows’ peripheral support.

(Apple does, of course, limit the use of OSX to Apple-manufactured systems.)

150. Thomas B
    Posted December 10, 2009 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

Thanks a lot, you saved me lots of time and worrying !

151. Michael
    Posted December 10, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much. This has fixed my problem i can now use my netbook without a problem.

152. Matt
    Posted December 4, 2009 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

WOW, I greatly appreciate the way you explained what it was and how to solve it without making the mistake of deleting, disabling or panicing of a virus.
    so simple to solve. I appreciat it. defiatly passing this info to others.

153. MAURIZIO
    Posted November 28, 2009 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks a lot, it’ ok now after your infomation… great thank from italy. ciao

154. lyssa
    Posted November 24, 2009 at 2:37 am | Permalink

its all horse S*IT, mac doesnt have any of these problems, im so about to throw this one out the window

• Posted November 24, 2009 at 8:06 am | Permalink

Of course Mac doesn’t have these problems. It is a system built for one system only – no choice as to what you can have. You are stuck with what Apple gives you…nothing more.

PC and Windows on the other hand can pretty much have an infinite selection of hardware and software, which is where the problem comes in. PC manufacturers and Windows must build hardware and software that can work on many different combinations. Apple has never done that, nor probably will do that, or can probably do that.

For all the problems Windows has, it is able to do something Apple has never done.

155. jimmy
    Posted November 19, 2009 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

didn’t really work for me :( but it did reduce my extremely high cpu usage altho it still has panic attacks and bursts into the 70/80%s causing audio to freeze, id say i have a virus which is doing something to my drivers because cpu usage should not be this high on a computer only running itunes at a very low level at this moment. ah well im going to reinstall windows 7 and wipe everything but can i ask, i can put a lot of software on my external harddrive but will reinstalling windows 7 install all the necessary things and the other things like the programs that came with my computer? xcept the anti-virus of course which is seperate.

156. Colin
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Excellent thanks. Your idea did the trick.

A slight variation though. Nothing was selected on my enhancements tab – so I though that your tip would not help. Then I went to the Dolby tab to find that Dolby was selected. Unselecting that did the job(and improved my sound)

157. Oslobanu George
    Posted November 8, 2009 at 5:59 am | Permalink

The above solution solves the problem only partial. There is also the sound quality involved here. So for a lower CPU usage try doing this: near Enhancements tab, there is Advanced tab, be sure that the sample rate is set to CD quality.

158. Tonho
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks a lot man! It works like a charm! I have Windows 7 x64, when playing Winamp, processor goes, in average, 18%. Just disable it and now it’s ~2% average. I use this computer to play games, helped to get me some more FPS! hehehe Thanks a lot!

159. scandal
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

i have a realtek 883 with 5.1 surround and disabling all effects didn’t drop surround from working, what player are you using? i use foobar2000 0.9.6 with foo channel mixer to upmix stereo to 5.1 and i always keep sounds effects disabled and i never get 50% cpu usage on a dual core, i get at most 3-5%, if you have a realtek sound card try downloading the latest drivers from http://www.realtek.com and try again, never use the internal speaker fill function it doesn’t work fine and it’s a really bad upmixer, if you use a sigmatel or intel HDA try disabling all sound effects and manually setting the 7.1 from the internal windows audio mixer and directly and also disabling the taskbar icon.

good luck hope this helps

160. Trapperkeeper
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I already disabled all audio effects but still left the 7.1 sound activated – cpu-usage of audiodg.exe = 50%.
    I set my sound on “stereo” and only enabled one of the audio effects (tried it with all of them in different combinations) – cpu-usage = 50%.
    I disabled all audio effects and set my sound on “stereo” – cpu-usage of audiodg.exe = max. 4%.

Seems that audiodg.exe only starts troubling as long as I use further driver settings. That leads me to the problem that I can’t use 7.1 sound and of course all other enhancements which I’d like to use.

161. Thank you
    Posted October 31, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Far better than laggy music though :)

162. Thank you
    Posted October 31, 2009 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Omg, thank you!
    But too bad I can’t use my music options, so my rock doesn’t sound as good as before this problem.
    :D

163. Trapperkeeper
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

It works well, but now I can’t use my 7.1 soundsystem – there are only the frontspeakers working, all others (rear, center, subwoofer, side) don’t. Would be nice to get a solution. My OS is Windows 7.

• oby
      Posted October 26, 2009 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

you got to reactivate some of your enhancements or go through your audio drivers soft ware like mine and turn down some other setting so you can still have 7.1 sound my cpu percentage was up so high cause i was using the equalizer in my realtek hd audio panel and bass boost

164. mars
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 6:58 am | Permalink

thanx.. problem is solve..

165. yossef
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 4:26 am | Permalink

thx man you saved my battery life
    you’re really of a good help

166. scandal
    Posted October 20, 2009 at 9:15 am | Permalink

confirmed working on windows server 2008 r2 try out too, it works on every windows release that has that audiodg.exe we should contact Microsoft for a fix!
    great idea!

167. egal
    Posted October 20, 2009 at 4:41 am | Permalink

Hey
    Had the same problem under Windows 7 x64, where the way to disable the effects is exactly the same as you discribed. Thanks for sharing your experience.

168. Kristian
    Posted October 11, 2009 at 8:06 am | Permalink

Wonderful!
    The tip made the process go from 53% CPU usage to 3 :)
    However, it didnt work to just uncheck all enhancements. To make it work I really had to ceck the “inactivate all enhancement” checkbox as well.
    Thanks!

169. santiago
    Posted October 10, 2009 at 11:23 am | Permalink

great thing dude!!!! it works also on windows 7 rtm, now my computer’s a lot more solid i have a dual core cpu and when playing music with foobar used 50% of the cpus and after the fix 0% like it has to be!

170. justin
    Posted September 26, 2009 at 2:08 am | Permalink

i had the same problem, but doing what he sais didn’t help me a bit….my audiodg.exe consumes 20% ore more of cpu,so i found out that if you have a driver ….like me…realtek and you go to default format…and u change the quality lower the problem dissepires….if you do what he sais its not recomanded, because if it works your sound will be very week(quality)

171. phil
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 8:29 am | Permalink

this setting was also creating extreme load in lag in gaming.ie, everquest2.
    memory and cpu usage were at 48% and 87% respectivly. this is being run on the new windows 7 btw . it seems to have fixed the worst of it thanks…

• Posted September 8, 2009 at 9:58 am | Permalink

So the new version of Windows has a similar issue. Good to know.

172. Yusuf
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Absolutely spot on. I was ready to tear my hair out when my new dual core 3G RAM AMD Athlon laptop could not play music let alone movies due to this serious memory leak. Problem solved, thanks a million.

173. Nii
    Posted August 22, 2009 at 5:45 am | Permalink

Wonderful tip. Solved my problem. Now ma machine runs smoothly.

174. Darren
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 4:23 am | Permalink

Freakin sweet :D My audiodg usage went from 15% to 2% after doing this! Thanks a million.

175. Kit
    Posted August 6, 2009 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Your a lifesaver. I was having the same problem with music playback and it was really starting to irritate! This has totally helped. Thanks :D

176. steve2001
    Posted April 28, 2009 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Thanks Paul. Good advice and research.
    …/Many Thanks

177. Avatar
    Posted April 20, 2009 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

The same issue, this tip helped

178. Kane
    Posted March 28, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the tip. On my old pc, the sound sometimes stuttered when playing movies, mp3s, and even some system sounds. This appears to have helped so far.

179. Kathy
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

“This video contains content from Vevo, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds. “