How to Create an Impressive Web Design Portfolio
A portfolio means a lot to a prospective client. It also speaks a lot about your product, service or even your business. Hence it is essential to boast an impressive web design portfolio. On having an impressive portfolio, you can expect more work and as a result more profits. Your advertising and marketing activities are half done if your portfolio is up to mark.
A decent portfolio should clear all thoughts in your customer’s mind, making it simple for them to explore and come back to you. Make it clear on what you can offer and how a customer is benefited out of it.
Here are some simple tips to create an impressive web design portfolio.
- 1. The tagline and the logo should speak for itself.
- Generally, a logo is a brand and the tagline is one that shows who you are. In the fast-moving-internet-world, it is important to capture people’s attention as fast as possible. In other words catch them before they are gone. With millions of websites and services offering similar benefits as you do, it is quite easy for a customer to switch to another service. By observing a clear tagline and logo, a potential visitor can quickly analyze your value. The logo can talk a lot about your taste and sense of design, while you put your name in the tagline with a brief description. This description has to be designed properly in order to convey the value of your service. By quickly answering the 5Ws (what, why, where, which and when) and how, you are more likely to satisfy a customer’s thirst or quest.
- 2. An easily navigable portfolio is more likely to impress.
- Even though this is a basic idea to a successful web design, it is still worth discussing it over and over again. A friendly and easy-to-navigate website is more likely to attract visitors than a complicated one. Even the best of services cannot make it big if their websites are complicated and hard to navigate. If users are not directed to the preferred page quickly or unable to find your contact details in time, there is no point in offering quality services. Make your website navigation super-easy by consolidating and reducing pages, streamlining the menu items and making a simple navigation.
- 3. Do not display everything in one go – show only the best ones.
- Keep the secondary options or not-so-popular brands away from the portfolio. For instance, if you are offering music, keep the non-hit music off the portfolio. Let the most-wanted and most popular ones take the place. No matter what product or service you are dealing with. Think of it in terms of the music albums. Keep the hit music pieces and keep off the lesser known ones. Just like music, a flawless and tasty product or service is more likely to attract your customer than the ordinary ones.
- 4. Segregate your work and categorize them well.
- This is yet another tip to make your navigation better. Categorize your successful samples so that surfing becomes easier and more delightful. Categorizing your products into 10 items per list can make it easier to analyze. Group them based on banners, logos, websites or whatever is the best choice for you.
- 5. Testimonials can help.
- In order to reduce the risk factor for a prospective client, social proof can be of great help. Like you see in many shopping sites, individuals will buy their favorite products based on the ratings and feedback provided by different buyers in the past. Similarly, testimonials can help if individuals are not sure about a product or service. The rating, number of people who have been there in the past, review on the product and service and many other factors can make a potential customer more comfortable than being the first one to try. Testimonials can work in giving them more confidence, thereby reducing their fear and risk.
- 6. A portfolio that can be downloaded and used offline is more likely to impress.
- As a matter of fact, when your portfolio can go offline, they are more likely to help you in your success. Imagine, when your portfolio can be carried around and shown to different people and have more discussions on them among friends, bosses in office, business partners and office associates, they automatically do the marketing for you. Hence a portfolio in downloadable format can do wonders to your success.
Hope these tips would have helped you create an impressive and efficient web design portfolio.