Ipad Vs. Android: Which Tablet is Better?

The Ipad is the one tablet that has set the bar for all other tablets to come. It quickly became the favorite tablet of tech geeks all over the world.  Lately, the heat has been turned up as a barrage of new android based pads started to flood the market. They are giving iPad a run for its money.  Still, beating the iPad is no short order. That is not to say that a company with the right vision and a great marketing plan cannot compete with, or even beat the iPad in popularity. It will be a lot of hard work though. For now, all surveys and polls have the iPad on top.

Ipad Vs. Android:  Which Tablet is Better?

Now you might be of the opinion that the iPad can’t be beat, and so far it hasn’t. Still it is not the only game in town nor does it have the greatest amount of useable applications. The Android tablets are offering options that will allow you to customize your usage. The new family of Android based tablets are coming at us from a variety of manufacturers. They are offering style choices and applications options that the iPad cannot keep up with. The iPad is more of a one-size fits all type of device and that could very well be its downfall.

Ipad is no longer the lone wolf in this race. It was light years ahead of the others, but now the pack has caught up, and if the makers of the iPad aren’t careful they will get run over. Especially now that most users of tablets today are looking for something that they can fully customize. It helps also that the android based tablets are closely connected with the most powerful search engines in the internet universe.

Here are some primary differences I’ve found:

1. IPads are generally slimmer than Android devices.
  2. Android is slightly ahead of Ipad for voice recognition.  That is not expected to last though.
  3. Android does multitasking better.  But this also eats up more battery life.
  4. The iPad has a much better battery life (like the iPhone).
  5. Android browsers allow Flash Media (iPads do not).
  6. Android has more of a “Desktop” feel than the iPad.
  7. iPad has better Apps than Android.  This will not last long.
  8. Android has fewer restrictions than iPad.  You are free to do what you want on them.
  9. Android’s freedom allows the adventurous users to “bug-up” their devices.
  10. iPad’s have fewer potential for viruses (if any).

I am a recent Apple convert and I cannot easily explain why.  Almost all statistics point to the benefits of more powerful PC’s and Android devices (dollar for dollar).  As a user of both, I still just LOVE how smoothly Apple devices run.  It is hard to put into words.  Still, companies like Samsung and Toshiba are cranking out tablets that allow users to do all sorts of tasks.

The name droid has become a part of the younger internet generation’s psyche and it is not going away anytime soon. Whether or not the makers of Android tablets will dethrone the iPad remains to be seen. With the introduction of new and better apps you can bet the fight will continue long into this new century. In the end, which is better depends on what you need it to do.

Don't Lose Your Memories
Backup an unlimited number of photos and files with BackBlaze!

Unlimited storage.
No storage, file size or bandwidth limitations.

Restore from anywhere.
Just need an Internet connection - PC, Mac, iOS, and Android.

External hard drive support.
Backup files that are stored on an external hard drive.

Data is secure.
Files are encrypted locally and sent over a secure SSL connection.

Automatic and continuous backup.
Never worry about forgetting to backup a file - ever.

Tablets

1. Posted January 10, 2014 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

What’s up, yes this post is truly nice and I
    have learned lot of things from it on the topic of blogging.
    thanks.

2. jackie
    Posted September 5, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

I got questions that need answers please. I need help and of course im new at this. I would like to buy a ipad 2. I want something that i can play games , movies and be able to to do alot with out having issues of being to slow. What should i get or what do your recommend Paul salmon. I also wold like to get more apps or load more programs with out spending too much. What do you recommend i get. One more thing which one is better with all these different ipad , ipad 2 ipad 3 ipad4. please help. Thank you Or should i get a different tablet.

3. Posted July 2, 2013 at 5:52 am | Permalink

Howard Gardner’s Rule of Multiple Intelligences is a marvellous rationale so that you can referral when creating your being knowledgeable of computer. French one particular in the most needed languages amongst most of the their innovative new pupils right away.

4. Posted February 17, 2013 at 5:48 am | Permalink

Hi Paul Salmon,
    I would prefer android instead of iPads.

5. Posted July 27, 2012 at 7:48 am | Permalink

so you think the ipad is better cuz im scared to choose the wrong choice plz help me and replay

6. Ron
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

I have an I-phone and I-pad. I run what ever I want on both! I can run any Flash.. put anything I want on my desk top and run all apple apps and ALL android apps! Oh and I have voice recognition and use it regularly. In addition I can use the devices as wi-fi hot spots! Hmm last I checked you can’t do half that with a Droid! But for those of you with less tech skills go with the Droid!

• Posted December 14, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Actually, besides running Apple apps I can pretty much do everything you listed on my Android phone. Voice recognition: check, WiFi hot spots: check, Flash: check, use my phone as a USB storage device: check, widgets/shortcuts/folders/wallpaper on my desktop: check. For the most part there are many Android apps equivalent to the Apple apps that I don’t need to think about running Apple apps on my phone.

7. Posted December 13, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

i will say tablet it is cheaper and better and its not so heavy

8. Posted November 11, 2011 at 1:39 am | Permalink

Good comparison indeed and I think android is really good, supports flash which iPad doesn’t.

• Posted November 14, 2011 at 8:08 am | Permalink

Support flash is nice; however, Adobe has just let it known that it won’t be working on Flash for mobile devices going forward.

9. Dave Starr
    Posted November 8, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

I too recently got my first Android device, running Android 3.0 and it’s good. I like the amount of customisation you’re allowed to do, the problem I’ve always had with Apple stuff is that you’re tied into Apple for just about everything.
    By the way, looking at the comments above, with regards to virus’s on Ipads, both iPads and Androids won’t suffer from viruses as such as they are unix / linux based. Unfortunately a Windows tablet would. As has been reported recently you can be at risk to malware on any platform, but that’s a different matter to a virus…
    Dave…

• Posted November 9, 2011 at 8:21 am | Permalink

I am of the impressions that all code contain bugs, and that goes the same with iPads and Androids. I guess I’m just pessimistic, but there have been bugs found in code that has been around for 20 years – and the code was commonly used. Bugs can be a gateway to viruses, and malware, which is why I can’ agree that iPads and Androids won’t suffer from viruses. Then again, time will only tell, and I hope you are right.

I have liked the customization of my Android phone as well, and is one reason why I don’t have many Apple devices. If Apple would open up their devices a little more, I would probably have a few more of their offerings.

10. lynda
    Posted November 8, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I’ve had Android SmartFone for two years now. Have new bionic now.LOVE THEM! SO I’m bringing back the ipad2 my husband just brought me for my birthday. Sorry honey. Just don’t like i anything! Too controlling and no voice recognition! !!r u kidding me”?

• Posted November 8, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

I just got an Android smartphone, and I’m liking it. I always like devices that cater to me, instead of deciding what I should or shouldn’t have.

11. Gunny
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 3:50 am | Permalink

I thought until now, ipad is still better than android base tablet. Million ipad users have been proved that.

12. Andrew Walker
    Posted July 28, 2011 at 4:39 am | Permalink

Don’t know why. But i’ll go for android, not iPad. Just a hunch.

• Posted July 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

If I had a tablet, I would go with Android as well. I’m not a fan of Apple controlling what will run on their devices. I’d rather do that myself.

13. Posted June 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Thank you for comparing the apps. I would still go for an iPad over Android tablet.

• Posted June 18, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

I’m more particular about being told what I can run on my devices so I’d choose an Android.

14. jkar
    Posted June 14, 2011 at 4:24 am | Permalink

Well, for me apple simply rocks…why? because they make both software and hardware and this made their gadgets more controllable in terms of functionality and design. They don’t need third party company to produce the designed hardware.

• Posted June 14, 2011 at 8:47 am | Permalink

That could be good in that you know exactly what you are getting, and the software and hardware are made for each other. That is great for stability.

The one negative that people don’t like with such a setup is you get what Apple gives you. For my desktop I chose all the hardware and software, including the OS, that was installed. I had complete freedom of choice with regards to the setup, and no company chose what I should or shouldn’t have installed.

15. Posted June 13, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the article, great post. I am looking at tablets (a bit slow on the uptake). Why would you say Ipads are relatively safe from viruses?

• Posted June 14, 2011 at 8:43 am | Permalink

That is a good question, and one that I don’t really have an answer for as I haven’t looked into viruses for tablets. I’ll have to do some research to see if I can find out anything.

16. bodynsoil
    Posted June 13, 2011 at 10:03 am | Permalink

I have not converted to Apple yet, you would think as a design student I would have by now. Still, I am looking at a droid tablet for myself and perhaps the Ipad2 for my spouse, why, because Ipad2 requires less thought to operate and is more intuitive. I can handle the process of implementing all the apps in the droid, some people are only made for the ease of Apple OS..

• Posted June 14, 2011 at 8:41 am | Permalink

I’m the same way. If I were to purchase a tablet I would probably go with Android for myself, but an iPad for my wife. I figured the ease of use with the iPad would be better for her, but then again, you never know.