W3 Total Cache Prevented FeedBurner Feed from Updating

A few weeks back I noticed that the RSS FeedBurner feed wasn’t updating for Technically Easy. Each time a post was published, the WordPress RSS feed would be updated, but the FeedBurner feed wasn’t updated to show the new post.

I went through the troubleshooting page on the FeedBurner website, but the steps outlined didn’t correct the problem. I then started to look at the caching plugin that I was using: W3 Total Cache. The plugin cached the RSS feed on my blog, but for some reason it started to cause problems with FeedBurner.

W3 Total Cache Prevented FeedBurner Feed from Updating

How to Uncache the Feeds in W3 Total Cache

While I haven’t figured out exactly what caused the feed caching problem, I have decided to temporarily disable the feed caching.

To disable the feed cache in W3 Total Cache, you can use the following steps:

1. Click the “Performance” option on the left in the WordPress bar.
  2. From the W3 Total Cache options page, click the “Page Cache” link.
  3. In the “General” section, uncheck the “Cache feeds: site, categories, tags, comments” checkbox.
  4. Click the “Save all settings” button.
  5. W3 Total Cache - Uncache Feeds

W3 Total Cache - Uncache Feeds
    (Click to enlarge)

As mentioned, I’m hoping this is only a temporarily solution until I can figure out why my FeedBurner RSS feed wasn’t updating. If you have a similar issue, you can also disable the feed caching.

If you also have a solution to the problem, I’m open to ideas.

WordPress

1. Elvia Irwin
    Posted March 10, 2013 at 6:30 am | Permalink

Can someone explain in plain English what the W3 Cache does? My Page is soo slow and I’m not sure if it has something to do with the plugin…. I have some problems with this plugin and couldn’t fix it yet.

2. Posted November 27, 2012 at 1:51 am | Permalink

this really helped man . .thnx

3. Posted July 16, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

I’d been looking for a fix for weeks and losing hope… and then I found this post!! I can’t thank you enough, the fix worked perfectly.

THANK YOU!! :D

4. Posted June 27, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

I just ran into this issue in helping another blogger, and disabling the feed check didn’t solve it even when we flushed cache. I had disabled the plugin altogether, I read that sometimes even Disk: Enhanced and Minify can break not sure. Hope it doesn’t reoccur but was my first time seeing this issue.

5. Posted May 9, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Thank you so much, I was about to pull my hair out!

6. Ankit
    Posted December 25, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Actually I was also using W3 cache but later i discontinued using it as i was facing a lot of problems while configuring it. So I believe it not a plugin for beginners.
    But This tutorial is awesome for even beginners :)

7. Esther Travis
    Posted December 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Great job!

8. Andrew Walker
    Posted September 4, 2011 at 1:19 am | Permalink

Hi there. Thanks for sharing this useful tips. Great job!

9. muneer
    Posted September 2, 2011 at 9:50 am | Permalink

i also had this problem.after i disable feed cache now it’s working

10. Posted August 30, 2011 at 8:45 am | Permalink

I know this post is a few month old; however I’m glad I found it. My W3 Cache has worked I guess fine for a year and all the sudden a few days ago my Feed stopped; result I lost page views and leads, wasn’t happy but couldn’t figure out what was wrong; but I did notice that every time I updated or cleaned my cache the feed would appear; that’s how I came across your page…THANKS for the tip. Hope this works on my page, too.

I do have another question. Can someone explain in plain English what the W3 Cache does? Or how do I know it works correctly? My Page is soo slow and I’m not sure if it has something to do with the plugin…. any input and ideas, would be appreciated

• Posted August 30, 2011 at 10:55 am | Permalink

W3 Cache is meant to cache your blogs content so it becomes quicker to load. It also sets the expiry on the content so repeat visitors to your blog don’t have to reload content from your web server that hasn’t changed. I visited your blog and didn’t see anything really slow loading – although your sidebars are the last to load. W3 Cache is working, and you can see the stats in the HTML source of your blog within your browser.

You can also analyze your blog’s performance using a few free tools. I outline some tools in Don’t Keep Your Visitors Waiting: Monitor Your Blog’s Performance.

• Posted August 30, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for getting back to me… with some info.. soo appreciate it. Actually the page loads okay where I have issues with is leaving comments, are they maybe cached, too? it takes forever to accept a comment my readers keep complaining that it’s taking forever before the comment goes through… that’s why I thought maybe W3 has something to do with not running correctly…. mhhh guess I need to look around for the issue..

BTW removing the Feed cache did in an instant resolve my feed issue today… I’m running the newest version wordpress and W3 and no idea what started the issue a few days ago, but disabling the feed cache worked. THANK YOU.

Great page you have here, I will defiantly be back looking around to find answers for some of my questions.

11. Bodynsoil
    Posted May 21, 2011 at 8:52 am | Permalink

This is interesting I am off to check and see if I am having these issues with my feed cache and W3 Total Cache. I was thinking about dumping it and using a different caching plugin, after reading some of these comments I might do that today.

• Posted May 23, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

W3 Total Cache does seem to have issues recently, but overall, I find it still works well. I’ll keep it around until I can’t use it any longer.

12. Posted May 19, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

I was having problems with W3 all together with my website and despite trying a lot of things, I was not able to make it work properly, so I switched over to super cache and it is working well. I heard the latest version has also problems with the “minify” function so that’s that. On a side note, and as you know, i am using CloudFlare along with Super cache and I don’t see (yet) any problems. As a matter of fact I do not even go to the developer mode on ClodFlare with super cache, I just delete the cache and all works OK. Guess I am lucky?

Thanks for the heads up anyway about feedburner. I used to have many problems but apparently got it fixed after I installed PuSHPress. Don’t know if it is a coincidence, but I felt a difference.

• Posted May 19, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

W3 seems to be having a few issues recently. I have heard about the minify issues, but so far I haven’t experienced those. I was using WP Super Cache before W3, as many people were. I have seen tests that show Hyper Cache is even faster at caching, and I was thinking about trying that out.

I will eventually go back to CloudFlare, and see how it works with W3. I’ll have to checkout PushPress and see what it can do.

• Stephen
      Posted May 19, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

I’m also having that same luck!

I just recently went back to using CloudFlare after struggling with it months ago. They’ve certainly improved! That, along with Super Cache does wonders for my blog.

• Posted May 19, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

I remember when you tried CloudFlare. It is a new service so they have had to work out a few bugs. I’ll be going back eventually.

13. Posted May 19, 2011 at 11:38 am | Permalink

I don’t seem to be having this problem with my blog, I wonder if it could be attributed to your server. Different servers may have problems with caching plugins.

• Posted May 19, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

That is a good question. The W3 Total Cache was working without issues for months, but then it decided to stop. I did update WordPress recently, so I’m wondering if it could be related to the update.

14. Posted May 18, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Is this solve the issue? I had the same issue when I was using this plug-in one year back. But I couldn’t get a real solution for the issue at that time, so I switched to another cacheing plug-in.

• Posted May 19, 2011 at 8:12 am | Permalink

I’m checking it now to see if it is resolved. If it isn’t, I don’t think it is a big deal and will just keep the feed caching option disabled. I still think it is one of the best cache plugins available, mainly because of all the options it provides.

15. Posted May 18, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Hm..interesting. It seems that Feedburner still updates my feed even when the option is ticked in my case.
    However, it’s better to be safe than sorry – besides, don’t think caching the feed will have a big impact anyway (turning it off now)

• Posted May 19, 2011 at 8:11 am | Permalink

I have enable feed caching in W3 Total Cache, so I’ll see if the issue has been resolved with the latest update. If not, I’ll just disable feed caching as it seems to have no effect on my blog.

16. BLOG404
    Posted May 18, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

I was using a cache plugin but it was difficult to edit my blog a the changes couldn’t be seen at that moment . Moreover , some widgets were not working . I have stopped using cache plugin and using thesis which loads terribly faster :D

• Posted May 19, 2011 at 8:09 am | Permalink

W3 Total Cache allows you to disable caching for logged in users. Also, it provides buttons that you can click to clear out the caches, and also allows you to clear the caches when a new plugin is installed. Besides this one issue, I really haven’t had any problems with W3 Total Cache.

17. Posted May 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Hey Paul!

I didn’t even know there was a reason to cache your feed. I hope this solves the problem for you. I was planning to install W3 Total Cache soon due to the integration of CloudFlare, then I heard about Tuan having some problems too, so I will wait until all of this is resolved.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Posted May 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

I don’t know what effect the caching will have on my feed, but according to the checkbox, it also caches other pages as well. I haven’t noticed any issues with not caching my feed, or any major issue with W3 Total Cache. I haven’t tried the CloudFlare option yet as I have disabled CloudFlare. When I change hosts I’ll probably use CloudFlare again and see what the W3 Total Cache option does.

• Posted May 18, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

I’m using that CloudFlare option – works okay so far (at least, didn’t see any problems). I can also set CloudFlare to development mode through the W3 Total Cache setting rather than having to log on to CloudFlare.com and do it from there

• Posted May 19, 2011 at 8:10 am | Permalink

That was the pain for me when I was using CloudFlare – always having to log into CloudFlare to change to development mode. I’ll be using CloudFlare again once I switch hosts, so having such a feature in W3 Total Cache is great.

18. Posted May 18, 2011 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Thanks for the share.
    Btw, what version of W3 Total Cache are you using here? I have some problems with this plugin and couldn’t fix it yet.

• Posted May 18, 2011 at 10:41 am | Permalink

I am currently using 0.9.2.1. I believe the problems that I have experience were the previous version, as the update happened after the issue.

I’ll have to try enabling the feed caching again to see if the problem still exists.