5 SEO Tips for the Technical Blogger

When I first started blogging almost four years ago, I didn’t know anything about SEO. I wrote posts that I thought were useful to others, and didn’t worry about researching keywords, keyword density, or even how the post would rank in search engines.

Being a technology-related blog, I knew that there was a lot of competition, in terms of SEO, with regards to many aspects of technology. I also knew that much of the content that is related to technology would be outdated. Today, however, I have realized a few things about SEO, and owning a technology blog, and have decided to sum them up in this post.

SEO Tips for the Technical Blogger

5 SEO Tips the I have Learned From my Technology Blog

I won’t repeat the usual SEO tips, such as optimizing page titles, header tags, and keyword density. These tips can be found on thousands of other sites online. I will focus on more of what I learned with regards to running a technology blog. These tips may be found on other sites, but aren’t usually included in with the standard SEO tips.

In addition, some of these tips can apply to other types of sites, so you may be able to utilize them for your site as well.

1. Type Error Messages in Posts

This point has to do with helping others solve error messages that appear when the are using something, such as an error produced by an application or an operating system.

I have seen many blogs and sites where the author has included a screenshot of the error message, but didn’t include the actual text in the body of the page. You should always, and I mean always, type out the error message, word for word, in the post content. Search engines read text, so why not include the actual message in the post?

When I have an error, and then perform a search, I usually type the error message in the search box. The sites that appear first in the rankings usually have the error message in the page content.

2. Include Error Message in Post Title

This point is similar to the first one. If an error message can fit in the post title, then include it. This has helped me rank well for certain keywords because the post title is probably one of the most important factors with regards to SEO. By including the error message in the title, you just improved your post’s chances of appearing high in the search results.

If the message is too long, I would usually include the most important part of the message, or try to provide an explanation of the error. I use the error message in the post content anyway, so the error message will still be picked up by search engines.

3. Include Manufacturer and Product Name in Title

If you are writing about a product, whether it is a review or “how to” article, you should make an effort to include both the name of the manufacturer, as well as the name of the product.

I have had people search for just the product name or just the manufacturer name and arrive at the same post on my blog. Since the post title includes both names, the same post ranks well for multiple keywords relating to the same product. I try not to target just a single keyword, I try to rank for multiple keywords for greater impact.

4. Write Articles for Older Technology

This is where technology-related sites may have issues. Many of the articles that are written for specific technology may become obsolete – or at least the author may think.

Some of my more visited posts on a daily basis is for a device that is considered old, and hasn’t been produced in years. The device was very common when it was produced, so many people own it and still use it (I do). The manufacturer, however, charges for support of the device because it is no longer supported.

The reality is that the average person will continue to use technology if it is still working. The die-hard, technical gurus will constantly upgrade, but the average user won’t, until it stops working for them. It could take years for the average user to replace certain devices or software, but during that time they may go looking for answers to problems they are having.

Ranking well for older technology may not be difficult, since most technology-related sites may be more concerned with newer technology, and you could get visitors for a few years while people are still using the outdated devices or software. This tactic has been working for me the past few years.

5. Simple Post Titles Can Be Effective

A tip that is common among site and blog owners is to create catchy titles that will draw a reader into your site. There have been some good titles that have caused me to stop and read the content. At times, however, a simple title can be just as effective.

For example, let’s say you need help with resetting your wireless router, a Linksys WRT320N model. You perform a search in Google and the first result is:

How to Reset the Linksys WRT320N Wireless Router

Chances are you will probably click that link. The title isn’t catchy or creative, but it does do a few things. It seems to be a “how to” guide on resetting (the problem you are having) the Linksys WRT320N wireless router (the router you are using).

You can also see how the title of the page includes enough information for the searcher to decide that they should click on that link. The title indicates that the answer to a problem is contained within that page.

These are some of the tips that I have learned over the years that I have owned Technically Easy. If you own a blog, what additional tips would you have for other bloggers?

Websites and Blogging

1. Becky Larson
    Posted March 10, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Have not been thinking about the error message, but that is so obvious. and check what is the recent search trends and according to that make your post title. Interlinking not only has the ability to helping your visitors, but it is also good for search engines as well.

2. Alicia Edward
    Posted September 27, 2011 at 3:45 am | Permalink

yeah! that is good tip[s to make blog attractive and effective,,,, well please share some more of your experiences with us

3. Posted July 9, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Good thing in technology related blogs even if you write and post about old technologies, people would still find it interesting because in this way they could compare how’s the technology before and now. Thank your for sharing what you’ve learned.

4. Bodynsoil
    Posted May 7, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Great thoughts on how to help others reach your site. I don’t write a technical blog but I certainly have searched many time when technical problem have come up. When someone is struggling with a technical issue they will pick the most likely target from a google search. I know I quickly scan the description for the words I need to appear.

• Posted May 9, 2011 at 8:11 am | Permalink

I have performed searches for technical problems in the past as well. I commonly copy, or type, the exact message that I need to find a solution for, so I figured I would do something similar with my blog. Having the problem and solution appear in a blog post is a surefire way of attracting visitors.

5. Posted May 7, 2011 at 4:50 am | Permalink

That is very true Paul. There are lots offices in our city that still use Windows 98 – funny but its true. you can find lots of articles about new technology but its really beneficial to write about old technology. People do search for them!

• Posted May 9, 2011 at 8:08 am | Permalink

Windows 98? I used 98 for many years and eventually upgraded to XP. I like that operating system, but enjoyed the security and permissions in XP. The trouble with using older operating systems is finding hardware and software that can still run on them – unless you use legacy options.

6. Posted May 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Very interesting list and something I has success with as well. I especially liked your idea about writing for older technologies. As you have mentioned if its working many people don’t bother changing or upgrading and it can be a nice way to tap into a niche.

• Posted May 9, 2011 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Sometimes people will need information about a product that is no longer in production. Information on such products can be easy to rank for, so you can still levy that product for traffic. Thanks for stopping by.

7. Posted May 6, 2011 at 7:26 am | Permalink

Hello,
    I think you need to research before adding a post title.
    Research with keyword in post title.
    Goto https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

Like your title
    “5 SEO Tips for the Technical Blogger” is much better than “some Seo tips”
    well i will suggest
    “5 SEO Tips and tricks for the Technical Blogger” – because Tips and tricks is a hugely searched term.

• Posted May 6, 2011 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Thanks for the tip. While I do research keywords from time-to-time, the articles that receive the most traffic from Google are the ones I didn’t research. Go figure. Sometimes SEO can be a hit and miss idea.

8. Posted May 5, 2011 at 7:35 am | Permalink

Hi Paul,
    I couldn’t get exactly which error messages are you talking about and how should I add them. Kindly pardon my inability. I would highly appreciate if you could explain this a bit more.

Thanks in advance.

• Posted May 5, 2011 at 8:23 am | Permalink

If you were to write a post that solves a problem about an error message from an application, I suggest that you type the error message in a post. For example, if you get a “File not found” error in an application, and write a post about that message, you would write “File not found” in the post.

• Posted May 7, 2011 at 6:10 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for replying. Now I got it clearly.

• Posted May 9, 2011 at 8:09 am | Permalink

No problem. I wasn’t sure if my idea of the error messages came across as I wanted it to in the post.

9. Posted May 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

I own a technology-related blog too and I find this article very helpful. I always overlook including error message in titles and alttext of images. Now I will remember. Thanks for sharing.

• Posted May 4, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

No problem. Including error messages has gotten me some nice traffic in the past.

10. Posted May 3, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Hi Paul
    That is some great tips you share here. Have not been thinking about the error message, but that is so obvious. Thanks for sharing.

• Posted May 4, 2011 at 8:27 am | Permalink

I have seen many sites that have a screenshot instead of actually typing the error message. I wonder how much traffic they lose because search engines can’t read the image?

11. James Pruitt
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

That’s a great list, and so true. sometimes I get frustrated when I cant find support online for some of my outdated but still useful junk. :) thanks for sharing. Another thing to think about would be interlinking related posts. for example, if you have one error message, and there is another one that is common enough, link to the page that fixs that one. I hate haveing to start my search all over when i fix one problem and the fix creates another one.

• Posted April 30, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Great tip, James. Interlinking not only has the ability to helping your visitors, but it is also good for search engines as well.