Tablet PC Operating Systems

Tablet PCs have grown in popularity and the main reason is due to their interface with a touch sensitive screen. Most laptops and personal computers do not use touch screen technology because they rely on either a physical keyboard or a mouse.

The tablet PC is different and thus requires a different operating system to run the touch screen interface as well as the other processes. The range of tablets on the market is large but the majority of tablets are controlled by just a few operating systems.

Tablet PC

The Operating Systems

The main operating systems that tablet pc use are either Windows 7 or a version of Android (either 2.1 or 2.2) and Apple Mac`s own operating system, iOS. Windows 7 has been dominating the personal computer operating system market and Microsoft have delayed their emergence into the tablet market because Apple and Google have already cornered and shared the initial markets with their two operating systems.

Time will tell if Microsoft`s Windows 7 will compete with the two current market leaders and regain lost ground.

Operating System Differences

All three operating systems were designed to be used in conjunction with touch screens but Google`s Android system and Apple`s iOS. Both are specifically designed with the smart mobile phone as a core feature for the end use and hence both are good at integrating between phones or tablets and the main reason a consumer will buy a tablet is to have a wireless internet connection to stream movies, chat, browse and shop, the operating systems enable users to do what they can already do on their phones with ease.

Microsoft`s Windows 7 is more used to operating larger systems and hence is very memory hungry. Android 2.1 and 2.2 operating systems are mainly used for the devices communication and background functions.

The Android 2.1 Platform ensures the applications that are present have good access to the machines hardware and drives the main actions for the applications such as browsing, phoning and driving a host of built in applications (such as a clock, an alarm and mail).

Apple`s iOS is very similar and also drives the applications that can be used in an iPad as well as an iPhone.

The main advantages of using and Android or iOS is the similarity and compatibility with a users mobile phone and in fact the familiarity of a tablet to a mobile phone is probably why customers seek out these deals and also look to some laptop deals to provide an all round package. Depending on personal preference and experience the choice of operating system will not affect the use of the tablet in any way and sometimes a change can be a good thing.

Hardware

1. D Browne
    Posted March 2, 2014 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Can any tablets operate on a Linux system?

2. Saikumar N
    Posted December 27, 2013 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    Can you please specify which SDK is suitable for each of the OS for tablets and Smartphones.

Thanks

3. Graham Bell
    Posted October 29, 2011 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Personally, I’ve not looked had a serious look at any Windows Tablets, Im a little bit anti-windows, I do try to be unbiased, but I’ve had such a bad time with Windows desktops in the past…Android all the way for me, but it does depend what you’ll be doing with the tablet – you mention apps development, I’d imagine Android being “open”, well, mostly open, app development would be easier to get into.

• Posted October 31, 2011 at 8:23 am | Permalink

I would go with an Android tablet myself. I’m not anti-Windows – I am a desktop user – but I think Android is mature enough to be a good mobile OS. It will be interesting to what happens when Windows 8 is released on the mobile platform.

4. new
    Posted October 28, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

kindly give you opinion, which one is best windows tablet or android tablet cost wise, features wise, application development

5. Graham Bell
    Posted October 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

I get a bad feeling when I read about Windows on Tablet PCs. I guess with Windows 8 they might do something with the amount of memory it gulps. More memory = more processor use = less battery life :-(
    Android is getting there, maybe with Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) it might get somewhere near to competing with iOS. But at the moment iOS is leaps ahead in my opinion. I’m just now downloading iOS 5 purely because of the new notification system. For me, getting that hideous blue box up each time I get a message when I’m playing “Getaway” really hacks me off :-)
    I look forward to getting a better look at Windows 8, but I’m not holding my breath that it’ll be an iOS beater….

• Posted October 13, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

I have heard good reports about Windows 8, and it seems Microsoft is going all out on making it work on tablets. Whether it will be an iOS beater, that remains to be seen. But if one company that knows how to create an OS that can run on infinite configurations, it will be Microsoft.

6. anfik
    Posted September 8, 2011 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Can a tablet is loaded with Xp os

• Posted September 8, 2011 at 8:41 am | Permalink

XP may be a little to much for a tablet, but Microsoft has a tablet version of its latest OS.

7. Toni
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Android os most widely use tablet pc manufactures and open source, so many company and people support for new version.

8. Mark
    Posted July 18, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

These early tablets running full versions of Win-7, are plagued with glitches, hangups, & freezes. It’s just too darn big an OS for such a simplistic limited function pc-hybrid. Perhaps a more cell-based Win-OS, designed from ground-up for touchscreen systems, would perform much better.
    Till then, I’m afraid Apple has the Tablet market on lock!

• Posted July 19, 2011 at 8:04 am | Permalink

The Windows tablets are fairly new, and will probably go through a few versions before they are more stable.

Apple may have the tablet market on lock at the moment, but it may soon begin to slip on them. The iPhone used to be the king of the smartphones, but the Android phones have since passed them in market share. It could happen with the tablet market as well – especially if Apple continues to dictate what people can run on their tablets.

9. Posted March 23, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

And it will all be different a year from now. Android changes almost daily (it seems), RIM has their new OS on the PlayBook, and HP’s WebOS 3.0 will be here in a few months. I also wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see Microsoft adapt Windows Phone 7 to be a tablet OS as well.

• Posted March 24, 2011 at 8:42 am | Permalink

I would also be surprised if Microsoft doesn’t move into the table OS war with a Windows 7 version. Microsoft isn’t one to stand back while other companies reap the benefits of certain technology.

10. Posted March 23, 2011 at 4:26 am | Permalink

Nice! I always thought that there is only one tablet OS )) Will digg you

• Posted March 23, 2011 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Many people probably think the same way – Apple’s OS. It won’t take long before other tablet’s also become more popular – especially the Android ones.

11. Posted March 21, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

I think it is also interesting to compare the WebOS from HP.