How to Secure the D-Link WBR-1310 Wireless G Router

This article will explain how to secure the D-link WBR-1310 Wireless G router. It is important, regardless of which wireless router you use, to secure the router to ensure that unauthorized individuals can’t access your Internet connection, and local network.

To prevent someone from accessing your wireless router, it is important to properly secure it. By default, wireless routers aren’t sold with security enabled, to allow you to easily connect to them. The steps outlined in this article pertain to the D-Link WBR-1310 wireless router.

Steps to Secure the D-Link WBR-1310 Wireless Router

D-Link-WBR-1310 Wireless G Router

To secure your D-Link WBR-1310 wireless router, you can use the following steps:

1. Log in to your router’s Web-based configuration pages by opening your browser and navigating to http://192.168.0.1.
  2. At the login screen, enter the user name and password. If you haven’t changed these settings, the default user name is “admin” (without the quotes), and the password should be left blank.
  3. Click the “Log In” button to continue.
  4. D-Link WBR-1310 - Login

D-Link WBR-1310 - Login
    (Click to enlarge)

5. In the top menu, click the “Tools” option. The “Administrator Settings” page should now be displayed.
  6. There are two accounts that need to be changed – an administrator and a user. To change both accounts, use the following steps:
    1. Enter a new login name for each account by entering a new name beside the “Login name” fields. Use a different name for each account.
    2. Enter a new password for the account in the “New Password” field. Use a different password for each account.
  7. Near the top of the page, click the “Save Settings” button.
  8. D-Link WBR-1310 - Change User ID and Password

D-Link WBR-1310 - Change User ID and Password
    (Click to enlarge)

9. In the top menu, click the “Setup” option. The “Internet Connection” page should be displayed.
  10. On the left side of the Web page, click the “Wireless” option. The “Wireless Network” page will be displayed.
  11. Enter a name for your wireless network in the “Wireless Network Name” field.
  12. Under the “Wireless Security Mode” section, select one of the following:
    1. Enable WPA2 Wireless Security (enhanced)
    2. Enable WPA-Personal Wireless Security (enhanced)
    3. Enable WPA-Auto Wireless Security (enhanced)

If you experience a problem with one of the security mode options, try the next one in the above list.

13. Beside “Cipher Type”, select “AES”.
  14. Beside “PSK / EAP”, select “PSK.
  15. Enter a passphrase in the “Passphrase” field. Ensure it is long (at least 10 characters). The longer the better.

For an explanation of why it should be long, please read Size Does Matter…at Least for Passwords.

16. Near the top of the page, click the “Save Settings” button to save your security settings.
  17. D-Link WBR-1310 - Wireless Network Security Settings

D-Link WBR-1310 - Wireless Network Security Settings
    (Click to enlarge)

After performing the above steps, your should now have a secured D-Link WBR-1310 Wireless G Router, and you won’t have to worry about others using your Internet connection.

Networking, Networks

1. Posted March 8, 2014 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

wow, nice, step by step, very clear and easy, thx a lot, 5 min and done well

2. Marian
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 12:51 am | Permalink

I tried to login to the username and password. I want to change the router name. Please advise.

3. stephanie
    Posted June 14, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

I did all of that. But when I click save settings, it doesn’t work! I tried restarting the computer and router. Nothing works!

4. Adrian Anna
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 3:11 am | Permalink

Ok So I used Admin as the user name and then changed the user names to something else I was taken back to the login page. I used the username and password I selected and it did not work. I tried Admin again and that did not work what do I do now please help.

5. Jason
    Posted August 7, 2012 at 12:43 am | Permalink

A few things need to be done to ensure a wireless network is “secure” :

The WPA/WPA2 password should be a minimum of 14 characters, and should contain at least one uppercase and one lowercase letter,one number, and one special character like a dash/slash/dollar sign/etc… This will make it nearly impossible for common tools to brute force the password.

Changing the SSID to something non-common will help negate the use of rainbow tables to crack the password.

An absolute MUST is to disable WPS in the router, due to an exploit that allows a hacker to very easily recover the WPA/WPA2 password.

Just my 2c.

6. Neethu
    Posted August 3, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Login admin password admin try this…..

7. Neethu
    Posted August 3, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Login admin password admin. try this…..

8. Bill Houlzet
    Posted June 5, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

My wife and I spent several hours trying to resolve this issue, until we found this site; it was really and easy to follow. Great.

9. Adam
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I tried to use “admin” as the password, but it didn’t work for me.

10. Bidyut Kumar Das