Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router Not Connecting to Internet

Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router Not Connecting to Internet

Recently, my Linksys WRT54G wireless router could not connect to the Internet. The odd thing about this was that just the day before I didn’t have any problems. I have two computers and a Wii connected to the router. Once computer is a desktop that is hard-wired into the WRT54G with a network cable. I was able to connect to the Internet with the desktop without any problems.

The second computer is a laptop, and like the Wii, it is connected to the router through the wireless connection. Neither system was able to connect, which indicated there was a problem with the wireless signal. After some testing I managed to find a solution.

Couldn’t Connect Wirelessly

As mentioned above, the hard-wired desktop was able to connect to the Internet through my Linksys WRT54G wireless router, but the other two systems couldn’t connect. Since the wireless connection didn’t work, I used my desktop to examine the wireless settings in the router.

I checked to make sure my router wasn’t hacked, and I breathed a sigh of relief when I noticed everything was still set properly and the router was secured. Next I checked all the settings, and everything was as it should be.

Then I thought about the fact that there are many wireless networks in my neighbourhood. In fact, at this moment I count at least five wireless networks, and I have great signal strength to some of them.

Thinking about this, I decided to change the wireless channel from 6 to 11. After changing the changing, the laptop and Wii were instantly able to connect to the Internet. It looks like my wireless network had a contention with the previous channel, which isn’t surprising considering that channel 6 is a default, so chances are many of the other wireless networks were using that channel.

Changing the Wireless Channel on the WRT54G

If you are having problems connecting to the Internet with your WRT54G Wireless-G router, then you can try changing the channel to see if that fixes your problem. To change the channel, use the following steps:

1. Log into your router’s administrative pages.
  2. At the top, click the “Wireless” menu item.
  3. In the “Basic Wireless Settings” page, select a different channel beside “Wireless Channel”.
  4. Click the “Save Settings” button at the bottom to save your changes.

Other wireless routers would have similar settings. Hopefully, this was the problems and you will get your Internet connection back.

Get free email updates! Sign up for new post notifications.

38 Responses to “Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router Not Connecting to Internet”

1. Bill says:

Using a WRT54GL. Came home from work with internet access on the computer that is cabled into the router, but none of the laptops would connect wirelessly. Tried resetting router, to no avail. Changed the channel from 6 to 11 and solved the problem..

Thanks for a great tip! Didn’t even consider it.

2. Elaine Schroller says:

Thank you! We were having exactly the same problem. Changing the wireless channel from 6 to 11 solved the problem.

3. fanny says:

Self Test LED Emergency Downlight
    Leds will become a main part of the lighting industry. You can find them everywhere from traffic lights to flashlights. LED lighting comprise an important and growing segment of the lighting industry.
    There comes a LED downlight, which is an advanced emergency light, 3 hour rated, non-maintained luminaire.
    ? Cost effective
    ? Self test
    ? Maintained or non maintained
    ? 3hrs back up
    For more information about REASHINE’s products visit

4. Anthony says:

I have the WRT54G router, and all lights are on except wireless g and dmz. I held the reset button twice to get to factory settings. Wired gets me no internet, although it says I do by the light. The only connection I get is wired to my xbox, but when I test connection on it, it says it couldnot get passed the network, (before restoring factory settings, while my wired CPU worked) although now it is the only thing connected to the internet. I cannot get on ?

5. Saundra sonnier says:

I have been connecting wirelessly just fine through my linksys WRTG4GL router with my windows 7 laptop along with other devices such as xbox’s and macs. Now all of a sudden my laptop will not connect to the internet and says cannot with the primary dns server. I took it to my friends house and connected to their router just fine but still can’t connect to my linksys…any help would be appreciated…i have tried everything.

6. Carlos says:

Hey changed channel and worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip.

Now I wonder why?

7. Richard B says:

Hi, I have a Linksys AG300 (somwhat old, I know) wireless router. Recently the wireless connectioned failed to work. Upon trying to resolve this issue, I used the ‘reset’ button located at the back of the device, after which the cable connection then failed. The Power, Ethernet & DSL lights are all on. However the ‘Internet’ light is not. I have read other posts where you can reset the wireless channel using the ‘Basic set up’ site, but I do not appear to have an option for ‘wireless’. I have also reset the device to ‘restore factory settings’, but this also doesn’t appeared to be of any help. Any suggestions for assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I am a complete novice.

8. Richard says:

I have the Linksys WRT54GL and it has suddenly stoppped working. All the light are on, i connect wired (modem into router – router into computer) and it doesnt work, but if i connect my modem straight to my computer i get the internet just fine. Tried restarting muliple times but to no avail, any suggestions??

9. raj says:

I have an linksys wrt54g. but thing is i dont have internet connection. i have an foolish ques that is it possible to get connection through an reliance pco antenna. it has an internet port. so can i recharge it and connect to linksys wrt54g. then connect it to my computer?
    please reply my question……(to help me, but not to make fun of me)

10. raj says:

I have an linksys wrt54g. but thing is i dont have internet connection. i have an foolish ques that is it possible to net connection through an reliance pco antenna. it has an internet port. so can i recharge it and connect to linksys wrt54g. then connect it to computer?
    please reply my question……(to help me, but not to make fun of me)

11. Joe says:

My Linksys WRT54G was working fine, then all of a sudden stopped connecting to the internet. If I connect my computer straight to the modem, I get internet connection just fine. Even if I connect to the WRT54G router with a CABLE instead of wireless, I don’t get internet connection. Do these routers go bad? I’ve only had it for 3 years or so. Any suggestions?

• Paul Salmon says:

Routers are like all electronics – they can stop working after some time. In your case the router may still be working, but the Channel may need to be changed. Access your router, via the wired connection, and then go to your Wireless settings. There should be an option to change the wireless channel. Try another setting and then try the wireless again.

12. Bob says:

It now looks like Norton is the culprit here! The same day my wireless stopped our Norton pkg, that came on a new ps, expired. I uninstalled Norton but, have been told it probably changed registry settings. The removal tool on did not fix it.

Do you think changing channels will do it? If so, how do I do that?

Any other solutions re: getting rid of Norton?

• Paul Salmon says:

You can try changing the channels. When you log into your router, the channel option should be listed under the Wireless settings.

I’m not familiar with Norton as I have never used the suite, so I’m not sure what it would have done with your wireless network. I usually stay with free applications that don’t impact my network.

13. Bob says:

Last night wireless devices stopped detecting wireless network. Hard wired devices work fine. How can I turn on wireless capability of router? Hard wired port lights blink, WLAN light does not blink. Using Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router. Thanx!

14. Rob says:

If your referring to not being able to interface with your router (and I’m assuming that we’re talking about the WRT54G), I believe that default IP is (change your third octet from a ‘2’ to a ‘1’).

If you find that you still can not interface, you could try changing the last octet from a ‘1’ to ‘0’.

The only other thing I can think to do might be a bit aggressive, but you might have to reset your router.

15. j says:

cant connect to what should i do computer wont let me

16. Rob says:

your first assumption is correct; The cable coming from your modem goes into the INTERNET port, all other wired devices will go into the ports 1 through 4.

17. Tom says:

sorry about a dump question. I see there are 5 ports behind my linksys WRT54G.
    four ports are numbered 1 2 3 4 and an isloated port named : INTERNET.

I am using cable connection from my country. Am i right to say the cable coming out from my modem goes into the “INTERNET port” and my desktop computer cable plugs into either port 1 2 3 4 ?

Or my modem cable goes into port 1 and my desktop computer cable goes into port 2 ?

18. Rob says:

doing a factory reset should only reset all settings(IP’s, usernames/passwords, port forwarding, MAC filter lists, etc) on the router not any firmware updates.

Forgive me if this sounds to simple, but when you set your wireless security settings, are you clicking on the SAVE SETTINGS button at the bottom of the page before you move configuring your router (as a tangent, go for WPA2 instead of WPA. Simply put WPA is old “tech” and not too terribly hard to hack)?

19. Kathy says:

I love your descriptions – very helpful. I have two questions:

If I reset my router to factory settings, will it wipe out the firmware upgrade I installed recently?

Twice now, my router has lost all the secuirty settings and broadcast name – everythign is wiped out. It appears to have been reset – but I didn’t reset it. I have (had) WPA and a MAC address filter set up so I don’t think it wasn’t hacked.

20. JR says:

Hi Paul I’ve secured my WRT54G Linksys Router but I am having problems connecting to the internet. I’ve tried AES and TKIP but it trying but not conecting. Please help!! I am currently open to all:(

21. TOM SHRIMPLIN says:

EUREKA!! It worked and I got it to change to channel 11. Thank you for your extreme patience. You have made a very old man very happy.

22. TOM SHRIMPLIN says:

I Must be doing something wrong. Does the wire from the computer nic plug into the internet receptacle on the router, or as a computer (1,2,3,4,)for the non internet hookup? This machine belonged to our son who died of cancer 2 years ago, and I no longer have his expertise. Should I reset the router? Thanks.

23. TOM SHRIMPLIN says:

STEP ONE IN THE INSTRUCTIONS IS: 1.Log into your router’s administrative pages.

24. TOM SHRIMPLIN says:

25. TOM SHRIMPLIN says:

No.Can you tell me about the procedure? I am 84 and have lost a little, but perhaps with a hint or a link as to what I should try, I could handle it. The item is “change a router’s channel by hardwiring to a computer”. Thanks.

• Paul Salmon says:

Your router should have come with a network cable, which looks like a larger version of the RJ-45 cable. Plug that cable into the network card of your computer and then plug the other end into your router. At this point you won’t have an Internet connection, but you will still be able to access the router. Once your router and computer are connected, follow the steps outline in Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router Not Connecting to Internet to change the channel for your router. Once the channel has been changed, remove the cable and try your wireless network connection again.

26. TOM SHRIMPLIN says:

Thanks for responding so quickly. Our internet connection uses the network
    card connected to a little plastic box on the wall.
    This box has an rj45 line from the computer, a 12 volt receptacle, and a 50
    foot line to a 1 foot square box mounted high on the west end of our house.
    Our provider said it contained a 23 db amplifier and antenna. It is aimed to
    a 100 foot tower located 2 miles away ssw. We live in the country, so there
    is no high speed cable available. I think it is a 2.4ghz system.
    I cannot get the router to connect to the internet to try changing the
    router to a different channel. It works fine as a wireless connector of
    computers, but I have to unplug the belkin usb adapter on the machine tied
    to the net when I want to go on line. Do you see a solution? I think the
    router and the wireless internet are colliding. Thank You.

27. TOM SHRIMPLIN says:

Regarding “Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router Not Connecting to Internet”, our internet connection is wireless. The signal is 2.4ghz (I think),so the router and internet collide. I want to change the router channel 1 but cannot go on internet when it is connected. In a stand alone mode it works fine for tying computers together. Any sugestions would be appreciated.