How to Reset the Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Router

There may be times where you hare having trouble with your WRT54GL router, which may require you to reset the Linksys WRT54GL wireless-G router. There are two methods of performing such an action, so which method you choose is up to you.

I recently wrote a post outlining the steps needed to secure a Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G router. Now I will detail how you go about resetting the router if you do need to revert back to the factory defaults. I will explain the two methods you can use to reset the wireless router.

Note:

Resetting the router to the factory defaults will delete any changes you have made to the router, including any security settings. This should be used as a last resort.

Two Methods to Reset the Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Router

Reset Button to Physically Reset the Linksys WRT54GL Router

The first method involves simply pressing a button located on the back of the router. The button should be labeled Reset and can’t be pushed in by a finger. The image below (courtesy of Linksys), shows where the button is located.

Reset Button Location

To reset your router, use the following steps:

1. Press the reset button for 30 seconds. This can be done by using an object with a small tip, such as an unfolded paper clip.
  2. At this point, all settings that you had previously saved have now been deleted. You will now need to re-secure your WRT54GL Wireless-G router.

3. Open up your Web browser and enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
  4. For the login, leave the ID blank and enter admin as the password.

The router has now been reset. Follow the steps in Securing Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Router to secure your router.

Through the Web Administration Pages

The second method involves logging into the Web administration pages of the router. If you can’t remember your password, then use the first method explained above. To reset the router back to the factory defaults, use the following steps:

1. Open your Web browser and enter the IP address of your wireless router. The default IP address is 192.168.1.1.
  2. Enter your user ID And password when prompted. If the password hasn’t been changed, then the default password is admin.
  3. At the top of the Web page, click Administration and then Factory Defaults.
  4. Beside Restore Factory Defaults, click Yes.
  5. Now click the Save Settings button at the bottom of the Web page.

Ensure you follow the steps outlined in Securing Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Router to secure your router.

After following the above steps to reset the Linksys WRT54GL router, the router should be reset to the factory defaults.

Get Microsoft Office 365
Your cloud-powered, complete office solution.

Multiple Devices.
Use Office 365 on 5 PCs or Macs, plus 5 iPads or Windows tablets.

Massive cloud storage.
Up to 5 people can have 1TB of cloud-storage.

Skype calls.
Get 60 minutes of Skype calls per month.

Non-stop updates.
Cloud-powered Office 365 provides ongoing updates.

Networking, Networks, Security

1. Felipe
    Posted January 27, 2011 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Thanks John

root/admin works perfectly for a WRT54GL with dd-wrt installed.

Save my day

2. Tyrone
    Posted November 14, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

The router is configured with the address 192.168.1.1, but it allows no telnet login, no chance to enter login data:

tyrone@phantom: ~ $ telnet -c 192.168.1.1
    Trying 192.168.1.1…
    Connected to 192.168.1.1.
    Escape character is ‘^]’.

Connection closed by foreign host.
    tyrone@phantom: ~ $

Any ideas why?

3. John
    Posted July 15, 2010 at 8:17 am | Permalink

try username root with admin password

• Stephen
      Posted August 26, 2010 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Hey John,
      I tried everything to reset my wrt54g. I’ve followed all the steps to reset. The router reset itself because it’s showing the wireless name ddwrt in my list of wireless options and is not protected.

When I access the router via 192.168.1.1 it will not take the default passwords.

Any ideas?

Stephen

• Ben
      Posted December 4, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much John! it was root/admin for me.

4. Posted May 6, 2010 at 6:19 am | Permalink

literally sick and tired with redmond after all these several years – I estimate I’ll have to grown to be another apple fan – ffs Not confident who the main borg is Jobs or Ballermer?

5. Derek
    Posted February 6, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

PLEASE REPLY TO THIS ONE FOR MY POSTS (I forgot to turn on the email reminder on the other two)

6. Derek
    Posted February 6, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Cloned MACs will likely go too. If it’s not the manf. default, it gets wiped.

7. Derek
    Posted February 6, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

If neither method works (try both if you haven’t), then the firmware isn’t the manufacturer’s version (or DD-WRT for that matter). If 192.168.1.1 still doesn’t work, it’s likely broken. Talk to the original owner ask if they flash new/different firmware and find out what is is/was. I don’t like the GL anymore – I burned up two of them already – they don’t seem to handle itermittent power fluctuations – the newer WRT54G are great though!

8. Loki
    Posted January 2, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Cloned computer MAC adress will be lost after reset?

9. manolstar
    Posted December 30, 2009 at 10:07 am | Permalink

same here..

please help me

10. marekson
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    I have the same router (lent from my brother, so I thinked router was configured for other IP) so I wanted to restart it by manual thereinbefore but nothing happend. It means I can’t open 192.168.1.1. to continue working on it!
    What I have to do now?
    Thx a lot for help.

• Guille
      Posted November 16, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Same Here! =(

11. Posted March 10, 2009 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks a lot of for the tutorial! My friend has had this same router for a month now, not knowing how to reset it! As i have been busy, I told him this link and he said it worked like a charm. V. Useful :)