level_15_access Issue When Logging Into Your Router?

The most popular posts on Technically Easy has to do with resetting a wireless router, and securing a wireless router. Securing a wireless router can be confusing and difficult, and can offer a few headaches. Many people have e-mailed me, or left comments, about problems that they have had when securing their router. While I try to answer all, there are a few that I have trouble finding a solution for.

In this post, I will offer an answer to one of the comments that someone had posted about a “level_15_access” message they were getting when logging into their router. I have finally found an answer to this problem, which is explained below.

The Level_15_Access Issue – Related to IP Address

When securing a router, you are required to get access to the router’s administrative pages through a web browser. You type in a user ID and password to gain access to these pages.

The steps that I offer when securing a router requires you to log in a few times. When logging in, you may receive a message similar to the following:

Firefox - Level_15_Access

Firefox – Level_15_Access

Internet Explorer - level_15_access

Internet Explorer – level_15_access

The above problem is not related to your router, but is a result of entering in the IP address incorrectly. You will notice that in the above screenshots, the IP address is 198.162.1.1. This is not the address of your router. This is the address of another server somewhere on the Internet, which explains why your ID and password don’t work.

The address that you should enter in your web browser is 192.168.1.1. Once you enter in your ID and password, you should have access to the administrative pages of your router.

Hardware

1. Alex
    Posted January 14, 2014 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

“192.168 .1.1.” – Thank You So much! :)

2. isley
    Posted August 27, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I just found it here, thank you so much

3. Arjun S
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 6:06 am | Permalink

Thank You So much! :)

4. Akshay Gupta
    Posted June 6, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

I have a Belkin N1 Router. I need to change the router settings but to enter the settings page. i entered the IP 192.168.2.1 but it shows the Level_15_access message and asks for username and password and I don’t know what to do?

The IP is correct in my opinion and I have rechecked it many times.

5. ben
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 6:27 am | Permalink

whoever has 198.162.0.1 or 1.1 or similar has probably harvested a huge number of IP address and router password combinations… Probably a good idea to change your router username and password if you accidentally types them in to here!

6. aliya
    Posted January 21, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

hey, what is level_15_access username and password?

7. please help
    Posted January 3, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

it still keeps sending me that message even when i type it in right

8. Kiki
    Posted December 16, 2012 at 11:55 am | Permalink

A Master Genius in my book! Always reliable and consistent with troubleshooting my linksys router issues!! Thanks!

9. pradhap lenin
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 12:24 am | Permalink

thanx a lot

10. Dan
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Saved me a TON of time. Can’t believe I typed it wrong.

11. Joe
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks bro. saved me a lot of time. always hard to remember the order of 192 and 168 lol

• Posted March 19, 2012 at 8:19 am | Permalink

No problem, Joe. I sometimes enter the wrong address at times, too.

12. Dave
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Please make SURE you have the RIGHT routers connected when tryin to access THEM

13. dark9999
    Posted October 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Nao consiguo entra no meu modem com todos ip de fabrica, vou resetear o modem!
    ainda bem que o moden salva configuraçoes em um arquivo.

14. Stefan
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Error also occurs when you have a VPN connection

• Posted September 1, 2011 at 8:53 am | Permalink

I haven’t experienced the error when I connect through VPN, although I did have disconnect issues. I’m not sure why the error will appear when using a VPN connection, however.

• Thierry M.
        Posted October 14, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Hey Paul thanks for the post. However, I believe that your answer only applies to those who are trying to access their router locally. What would be the scenario if I was to access my home router from work? Shouldn’t I try the public IP instead? If yes when I do so that’s when the error message pops-up. Thanks

• Posted October 15, 2013 at 8:01 am | Permalink

Hi Thierry,

Yes, the post only applies to those accessing their router locally. While I haven’t accessed my router from the Internet, but if you do, then you would use the public IP address assigned to you by your ISP, I believe.

15. kapa
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

What lashatt asked, what is the password anyway?

16. lashatt
    Posted November 22, 2010 at 9:10 am | Permalink

and what is level_15_access username and password?

17. danny
    Posted September 7, 2010 at 7:24 am | Permalink

I am entering the 192.168.1.1 add and getting the response with fritz! adsl router (its real add is 192.168.178.73)///

18. Bud Haynes
    Posted August 10, 2010 at 7:07 am | Permalink

Thanks!!, got me back on the right track.

19. Amen