The Ipad is the one tablet that has set the bar for all other tablets to come. It quickly became the favorite tablet of tech geeks all over the world. Lately, the heat has been turned up as a barrage of new android based pads started to flood the market. They are giving iPad a run for its money. Still, beating the iPad is no short order. That is not to say that a company with the right vision and a great marketing plan cannot compete with, or even beat the iPad in popularity. It will be a lot of hard work though. For now, all surveys and polls have the iPad on top.
Now you might be of the opinion that the iPad can’t be beat, and so far it hasn’t. Still it is not the only game in town nor does it have the greatest amount of useable applications. The Android tablets are offering options that will allow you to customize your usage. The new family of Android based tablets are coming at us from a variety of manufacturers. They are offering style choices and applications options that the iPad cannot keep up with. The iPad is more of a one-size fits all type of device and that could very well be its downfall.
Ipad is no longer the lone wolf in this race. It was light years ahead of the others, but now the pack has caught up, and if the makers of the iPad aren’t careful they will get run over. Especially now that most users of tablets today are looking for something that they can fully customize. It helps also that the android based tablets are closely connected with the most powerful search engines in the internet universe.
Here are some primary differences I’ve found:
- IPads are generally slimmer than Android devices.
- Android is slightly ahead of Ipad for voice recognition. That is not expected to last though.
- Android does multitasking better. But this also eats up more battery life.
- The iPad has a much better battery life (like the iPhone).
- Android browsers allow Flash Media (iPads do not).
- Android has more of a “Desktop” feel than the iPad.
- iPad has better Apps than Android. This will not last long.
- Android has fewer restrictions than iPad. You are free to do what you want on them.
- Android’s freedom allows the adventurous users to “bug-up” their devices.
- iPad’s have fewer potential for viruses (if any).
I am a recent Apple convert and I cannot easily explain why. Almost all statistics point to the benefits of more powerful PC’s and Android devices (dollar for dollar). As a user of both, I still just LOVE how smoothly Apple devices run. It is hard to put into words. Still, companies like Samsung and Toshiba are cranking out tablets that allow users to do all sorts of tasks.
The name droid has become a part of the younger internet generation’s psyche and it is not going away anytime soon. Whether or not the makers of Android tablets will dethrone the iPad remains to be seen. With the introduction of new and better apps you can bet the fight will continue long into this new century. In the end, which is better depends on what you need it to do.