6 Laptop Maintenance Tips for Laptop Efficiency

Having a laptop computer was one of the best decisions I made in my life and as a result I have been able to increase my efficiency significantly. I have also been able to learn a few tricks to make my laptop usage experience great. Below are some tips to make your laptop more efficient and to enhance your laptop usage.

6 Laptop Maintenance Tips for Laptop Efficiency

Beware of Dust

The first step you have to take towards ensuring your laptop is secure and effective is to protect it from dust. Dust can be very dangerous to your laptop in that it can block the ventilation areas of your laptop and lead to overheating. Computers also aren’t in any way friend to dust so you should do your best to protect your laptop from exposure to dust.

Heat Can be Dangerous to the Health of Your Laptop – Avoid it at All Cost

Another thing you need to beware of when trying to get the best from your laptop is heat. Your laptop will be able to work faster and effectively if it is in a cool dry area but the opposite will be the case if it is exposed to heat.

It is important to ensure you only use your laptop in a cool dry area to prevent it from experiencing any problems.

Be Careful With External Devices Used With Your Laptop

It is also very important for you to beware of which external device you use on your laptop. Make sure you don’t use flash disks or external hard disks from people you don’t trust. It is also very important that you’re careful with who you allow access to your computer and what devices they can use with your computer.

Install an Antivirus and Firewall Software

Millions of laptop computers are infected by a virus every year and that is due to the fact that a lot of people are either using substandard antivirus or no antivirus at all. By installing the right antivirus on your computer you will be able to eliminate the chances of your computer being infected by a virus and thus be able to ensure your computer lasts longer.

It is also very important that you install a firewall so that you will be able to be in control of who is able to access your computer. The major function of a firewall is to tell you whenever an external computer or network is trying to access your laptop and then give you options to either allow or block it.

Charge Your Laptop in a Proper and Effective Manner

Do you know that charging your laptop every minute as soon as it is discharged can be dangerous? Do you know that leaving your laptop plugged in even when its battery is full can eventually lead to overheating?

Another tip to help you effectively maintain your laptop computer is by charging it properly. Make sure you don’t just charge your laptop for the fun of it and also ensure you don’t leave it plugged in when the battery is full.

Backup Your Files Regularly

The reality of life is that no matter what measures you take to protect your laptop computer nothing is eternally certain. That is why it is very important for you to be backing up your files regularly. That way you will not be at complete loss should anything happen to your laptop.

Get Microsoft Office 365
Your cloud-powered, complete office solution.

Multiple Devices.
Use Office 365 on 5 PCs or Macs, plus 5 iPads or Windows tablets.

Massive cloud storage.
Up to 5 people can have 1TB of cloud-storage.

Skype calls.
Get 60 minutes of Skype calls per month.

Non-stop updates.
Cloud-powered Office 365 provides ongoing updates.

Laptops

1. saravanan
    Posted September 8, 2012 at 7:45 am | Permalink

i recently purchased a sony laptop. i have externally connected keyboard, mouse and speakers which uses power from laptop. shall i use these things when my laptop is getting charged

2. Jevon Hayter
    Posted August 28, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed your article. It was very informative, I really needed this information to make a good consumer decision. I read some relative information about http://www.forextradingstrategiesfx.com. I think your readers would enjoy this information also.

Again thank you for sharing.

3. Posted July 31, 2012 at 8:13 am | Permalink

thanks for the great tips and advises. i didn’t know most of it until now. keep posting great posts.

4. Posted July 21, 2012 at 1:22 am | Permalink

I actually got into this post. I located it to be interesting and loaded with exclusive points of interest. I like to read material that makes me believe. Thank you for writing this great content.

5. Posted May 7, 2012 at 9:48 am | Permalink

I always use a laptop cooler if I would use a laptop. I agree that heat is a major problem for a laptop and the second problem is dust. This is my personal opinion.

6. Irma Harper
    Posted March 4, 2012 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Try to read about Ubuntu. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an email. I haven’t used a lapdesk before, but I have heard about them. For some reason I also find Flash runs much slower on my Ubuntu laptop than it did when Vista was installed.

• Posted March 5, 2012 at 8:12 am | Permalink

I found Flash ran slower on Ubuntu than Windows, also. I manage to configure Flash to run at a good speed on my laptop after performing a search in Google. I just can’t remember what I had to change.

7. Aurelia Rollins
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Have you ever thought about writing an ebook or guest authoring on other blogs? Ubuntu is a good operating system – I currently use it on one of my laptops.

• Posted December 6, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

I have thought about writing an ebook and also guest authoring, but finding the time to do either is hard.

8. Roxie Stuart
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Heat is a computer’s worst enemy. Thanks for sharing this. I got mine at Staples for about $20, IIRC. I always tried to clean my laptop frequently, at least I haven’t seen any dust stacking up yet.

9. Posted September 26, 2011 at 5:18 am | Permalink

Hi there. Thanks for sharing this. It’s a very nice and helpful tips!

10. Posted September 6, 2011 at 6:40 am | Permalink

I always use a lapdesk with my laptops, which help to not only keep the laptop cool, but also my lap! :)

• Posted September 6, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

I haven’t used a lapdesk before, but I have heard about them. It is amazing at how hot your lap can get with a laptop. If only companies would improve on the laptop design to position the fans in a better location than underneath.

• Posted September 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

I got mine at Staples for about $20, IIRC. It has no built-in fan, but the bottom of the lappy is raised so air can circulate underneath.

11. Andrew Walker
    Posted September 2, 2011 at 12:02 am | Permalink

Hi there. Thanks for sharing this. I always tried to clean my laptop frequently, at least I haven’t seen any dust stacking up yet. :)

• Posted September 2, 2011 at 8:02 am | Permalink

Cleaning the laptop of dust on a regular basis is an important part of maintaining the laptop, as dust can effect a laptops hardware in really bad ways.

12. Posted August 31, 2011 at 3:06 am | Permalink

Mark, I am using windows as my OS, I just want to ask what is Ubuntu all about?

• Posted November 3, 2011 at 5:38 am | Permalink

In short, Ubuntu is Linux-based operating system, alternative to Windows or Mac OS.
      Try to read about Ubuntu. Or maybe other Linux OSes (called distributions).
      For example, I try to review different Linux distributions in my blog.

• Posted November 3, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Ubuntu is a good operating system – I currently use it on one of my laptops. The problem with a Linux operating system is that it is harder for the non-technical to use. For example, I pretty much had to jump through hoops to get the wireless network adapter working on my Ubuntu laptop, when I could have just installed Windows and had the proper driver installed automatically. More driver support is definitely needed before Ubuntu can go mainstream.

• Posted November 3, 2011 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Unfortunately I have to agree. Although, this is not an issue of Linux or its developers, but rather manufacturers who close their specifications and source code.
          Also, there is always a ndiswrapper route.

• Posted November 3, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

I wish more manufacturers supported Linux, but it would probably be costly to them to support a OS with such a small market share. Once I got the wireless adapter to work, I have enjoyed using Ubuntu.

13. Mark
    Posted August 30, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

You missed one Paul…last but not least…;)

Install Ubuntu Linux on that puppy as a dual boot system.

If you use windows, and start using Ubuntu, you will NEVER want to go back…trust me…;)

Mark

• Posted August 31, 2011 at 8:13 am | Permalink

I have Ubuntu installed, but still like to use WIndows on my desktop. While Ubuntu is a good operating system, it was more of a pain to get my wireless card working on the laptop than it was with Windows. I also still like to play games from time to time, and no OS beats Windows when it comes to gaming. For some reason I also find Flash runs much slower on my Ubuntu laptop than it did when Vista was installed. Not sure why, though.

14. Posted August 30, 2011 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Have you ever thought about writing an ebook or guest authoring on other blogs? I have a blog centered on the same subjects you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my viewers would value your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an email.

• Posted August 30, 2011 at 8:30 am | Permalink

I have thought about guest posting, but finding time to write additional articles is the issue I am facing. If I can find some free time to write a few posts, in addition to the ones I publish here, then I’ll let you know.

15. shashank chinchli
    Posted August 29, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Gathering of dust increases inner temp of lappie and so keeping it clean is one of main reasons! I have seen people who mercilessly use their laptop and then cry foul manufactures dont maintain standards and all. I have been using lappie of COmpaq since 3 yrs with no complain.
    Thanks for reminding some small to do tips buddy to take care of lappie.

• Posted August 30, 2011 at 8:26 am | Permalink

Most people probably don’t clean the dust from the laptops – many probably don’t know that they should. Once something goes wrong because of the build up of heat, it can be too late to do anything about it.

16. Posted August 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this article!

17. Posted August 30, 2011 at 8:24 am | Permalink

Heat is a computer’s worst enemy. Many processors now include the ability to stop running if too much heat is generated to help minimize damage to the computer.