In some of my posts regarding securing a wireless router, I am occasionally asked about solving the following error message:

The settings saved on this computer do not match the requirements of the network.

While I haven’t experienced this error, a quick search online has revealed that it can be a common error to receive when connecting to a wireless network. When solving errors that you receive after making changes, it is important to understand what changes you have made, and how they would affect your wireless connection. While everyone’s wireless network configuration may be different, let’s look at the possible changes that could cause the above error.

Computer Settings Don’t Match the Wireless Network.

There are many settings that you can change within your wireless router. Most routers contain the same settings, such as security type, and encryption algorithm, and it is important that when you change these settings that you also change them within your operating system.

When changing the settings on your wireless network, you must ensure that the settings in your router match those in your operating system. As I mentioned above, all wireless networks will have different settings, but the following list are some settings that you should ensure match between your operating system and your network:

• Ensure that the DHCP settings match. Most home networks would have this set to automatic.
  • The security type (WEP, WPA, WPA2) is set properly. For most home users the WPA/WPA2 type will probably be set to “Personal.”
  • The encryption algorithm (AES, TKIP) is set properly. Like the security type, this setting can be found within your router.
  • The passphrase associated with your wireless network was entered properly in your operating system when connecting to your network.

The above list probably contains the most common settings that could cause an issue when attempting to connect to your wireless network. Ensuring that the settings defined within your wireless router match the network settings defined within the operating system will ensure that you don’t have any connectivity issues.

Get free email updates! Sign up for new post notifications.

15 Responses to “Fix: The Settings Saved on This Computer Do Not Match the Requirements of the Network”

1. Louie says:

Thanks for the info. Sometimes all I it takes is for one thing to go wrong to keep you from completely setting up your network.

2. brandon says:

well i called the company and we checked all the settings to see if it matched and it did also before this trouble we had our phone fixed and then we started having trouble so we have a tech from the company coming but i would like to see if i could fix it myself

3. James says:

I’ve experienced this kind of problem before when I tried and reconfigured our wifi router. The problem was it doesn’t support windows 7 anymore. I had to get a machine running in XP to configure it first.

• Paul Salmon says:

Interesting. I haven’t really heard about a router not being supported in version of Windows, mainly because they are usually stand-alone. Was the software that came with the router the one with the compatibility issue?

4. Kevin N says:

For some reason I’ve only seen the easy solution to the “The settings saved on this computer do not match the requirements of the network” error posted in one place, but it’s really simple:

– From the Network and Sharing Center, click “Manage wireless networks” on the left hand side.

– Select the problem network connection in the list and click the “Remove” button at the top of that list.

– Now attempt to connect to the wireless network again in the normal fashion (as if you were connecting to a new internet connection at a coffee shop, restaurant, friend’s house, etc.)

– Problem solved.

5. Paul johnson says:

Thank you for the info – great post I alway wondered what that meant thanks

6. Jonno says:

I’m sure this helped some people, but it didn’t help me. For example I used a USB flash drive to transfer the EXACT network and security settings from my laptop – which was connected without problems – to my desktop. The whole point of this feature is to have the precise settings on hand to allow users to connect to the network. Right?

Although the message reads “The Settings Saved on This Computer Do Not Match the Requirements of the Network” the settings are in fact identical, and have to be accurate and “match the requirements” for the system they were transferred from to be connected at all. Meh. Yet the desktop receives this error message (which makes no sense in this context) and will not connect.

Both mine and my girlfriends’ laptops connect just fine. My PC is giving me major hassle. lol WLAN drivers are the latest, it obviously detects the network, and the transferred settings are digit for digit accurate and settings for setting precise. Still get this bloody message. Haven’t found a forum yet that’s got anything approaching a real answer.

7. Andrew Walker says:

Mhh…I’ve experienced this once, but my friend fixed it for me. Now I know how to do it, so the next time if I ever come across the same problem again, hopefully not, then I can fix it by myself. Thanks a lot for sharing this!