My trials with Microsoft Vista continue. I had issues in the past with iTunes continuously configuring itself, and now Microsoft Word 2007 doing something similar. I never had these problems with Windows XP, only on Vista.
This time Microsoft Word continued to auto-register itself whenever it was launched. I wouldn’t mind it so much, but it caused a 2 minute delay from the time I clicked the icon until it finally opened. Back to Google’s search I went and found a solution that worked.
Two Minute Registration
As I explained above after installing Microsoft Office 2007 on my laptop, I was greeted with a windows when starting Word. The window indicated that Word was registering itself on the system. Thinking it was a one-time thing, I let it go. To my curiosity, it happened the second time I launched Word, and continued each time I wanted to use the program.
The delay was significant: about 2 minutes each time. I couldn’t use Word until it had completed with its registration. Annoyed, I went online to find a solution.
After some quick searching, I found a solution that works. Microsoft indicates this: “we do not recommend this because Word may not function correctly if it cannot auto-register itself”, but I have yet found any problems after implementing the solution.
Fixing Word 2007 Auto-Registration
To disable the Word registration, you can use the following steps:
- Close down any open Word programs.
- Open the registry:
- For Vista users, click “Start” and enter “regedit” in the “Start Search” box.
- For Windows XP users, click “Start->Run” and enter “regedit” into the “Run” dialog. Click “OK” to continue.
- Navigate to the following key:
- On the right side of the screen, right-click a blank area and then select “New->DWORD value”.
- Replace “New Value #1″ with “NoReReg” and press “Enter”.
- Right-click the new value and select “Modify”.
- In the “Value data” box, enter “1” and then click the “OK” button.
- Click “File->Exit” to close the registry.
The next time you start Microsoft Word, you shouldn’t see the registration window. It worked for me, so hopefully it will do the same for you.
Microsoft Office 2010 gives you powerful new tools to express your ideas, solve problems, and connect with people.